[comp.sys.mac.misc] How to send Mac files ?

kr@asacsg.mh.nl (Koos Remigius) (07/25/90)

Hi folks,

Can you give me directions how to send Mac files?

I tried it once, but ran into some trouble.
I did this:
I converted MyFile with Stuffit 1.5 to MyFile.sit.
I converted MyFile.sit with BinHex 5.0 to MyFile.sit.bin.
Via kermit I did send MyFile.sit.bin to the unix machine.

Then I looked at the layout of MyFile.sit.bin and compared it
withe a file from <comp.binaries.mac> and found the layout of the
files not equal. The file from <...mac> was a neat layout, all
the lines where of the same length, but MyFile.sit.bin was a
complete mess. What did i wrong? Any help is welcome.

Greetings,
Koos Remigius

--
Koos Remigius			      kr@mh.nl via internet backbones
Asac Nederland B.V	              uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!kr

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (07/26/90)

In article <166@asacsg.mh.nl>, kr@asacsg (Koos Remigius) writes:
>I converted MyFile with Stuffit 1.5 to MyFile.sit.
>I converted MyFile.sit with BinHex 5.0 to MyFile.sit.bin.
>Via kermit I did send MyFile.sit.bin to the unix machine.
>
>Then I looked at the layout of MyFile.sit.bin and compared it
>withe a file from <comp.binaries.mac> and found the layout of the
>files not equal. The file from <...mac> was a neat layout, all
>the lines where of the same length, but MyFile.sit.bin was a
>complete mess.

For some strange reason, BinHex 5.0 generates binary files. Anybody
know why? BinHex 4.0 is the "standard" and generates the text form
you're after.

StuffIt 1.5 has BinHex 4.0 conversion built-in (the Options menu,
I think).

>Koos Remigius

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick