[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac+, QuickMail, SingleShare

hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org (Steve Hideg) (07/26/90)

I'm sorry if you folks are seeing this twice, but I goofed.

Here's the scenario:

    Mac Plus with 4 MB, 20Megabyte Dataframe Drive
    Finder 6.1.4    System 6.0.4
    Two partitions created with Silverlining v5.22
    Running QuickMail Server Software V2.2
    Trying to run SingleShare 0.9b11
        Two published volumes, each a folder on each partition

If an AppleShare client tries any operations on the published
volumes, the system crashes. I tried SingleShare in all of its
configurations:
    SingleShare application
    SingleShare application under multifinder
    SingleShare Server Init

I have friends that run SingleShare on Mac IIci's and IIcx's (no
mail server) with no problems.

Unfortunately, I am restricted to using this Mac Plus for server duty.
I am not at liberty to purchase AppleShare. I am hoping that System 7.0
will solve this problem. Until then, any advice would be appreciated.

Any experience out there with this setup?
Is there a later version of SingleShare I might try?
Does anyone have any experience with EasyShare by ShirtPocket?
Does anyone know of a vendor for EasyShare?

Thanks for your help.

--Steve

____________________________________
Steve Hideg (N8HSC)

hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org

hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org (Steve Hideg) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul25.205517.536@math.lsa.umich.edu>
hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org (Steve Hideg) writes:
> Here's the scenario:
>
>     Mac Plus with 4 MB, 20Megabyte Dataframe Drive
>     Finder 6.1.4    System 6.0.4
>     Two partitions created with Silverlining v5.22
>     Running QuickMail Server Software V2.2
>     Trying to run SingleShare 0.9b11
>         Two published volumes, each a folder on each partition
>
> If an AppleShare client tries any operations on the published
> volumes, the system crashes. I tried SingleShare in all of its
> configurations:
>     SingleShare application
>     SingleShare application under multifinder
>     SingleShare Server Init
>
> I have friends that run SingleShare on Mac IIci's and IIcx's (no
> mail server) with no problems.
>
> Unfortunately, I am restricted to using this Mac Plus for server duty.
> I am not at liberty to purchase AppleShare. I am hoping that System 7.0
> will solve this problem. Until then, any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Any experience out there with this setup?
> Is there a later version of SingleShare I might try?
> Does anyone have any experience with EasyShare by ShirtPocket?
> Does anyone know of a vendor for EasyShare?

Please note that I am using the Desktop Manager as well.

The system is well-behaved if I disable SingleShare. It's only
when both the SingleShare and QuickMail servers are active that
I have the problem.

Thanks for your help.

--Steve

Steve Hideg (N8HSC)