[comp.sys.mac.misc] Noisy Hard Drives WAS: Re: ci and a mysterious whirring disk drive

tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Thomas Lunde) (07/27/90)

A discussion has been started in comp.sys.mac.misc about the "Noise Factor"
associated with certain hard drives.  This is being moved (see Followup-To)
to comp.sys.mac.hardware.

The problem has been noted on IIci machines previously.  I have a SE/30
purchased in 10/89 that also does this.  My internal drive is a Quantum,
manufactured AFTER the 'fix' of the lubrication problem.  I have been
told that this noise is associated with a bearing slowly failing, and that
one day the drive will lockup permanently.

QUESTIONS:
1)  Is this problem associated with the 'fix'?
2)  Are there know problems associated with this 'fix'?
3)  When did Apple start shipping machines that do not have this kludge?
4)  Is there an extended warranty for this 'fix' for problems associated
with it?
5)  If the problem is not caused by the extra use of the drive by this 'fix',
what else could it be that is causing this noise?
Presumably a failing bearing is not the culprit, given the number of similar
drives exibiting the same problem as the same time.

Summary of the problem:

The drive makes a rattling noise at the following times:
In article <5930@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_apw@jhunix.UUCP (Philip Wong) writes:
  [problem exists on his machine]
>problem.  There doesn't seem to be a specific time that this happens.  Usually
>it just starts after I start doing something--meaning that id doesn't
>just start whiring after 1 hour of idleness.  And you can stop it by accessing
>the drive--ie opening a folder or something.  It is definitely louder than
>usual and seems like it is just spinning without accessing.  It does slow
>down every once and a while--as if it was maybe doing something like erasing
>my HD.  I don't have any auto-optimize or any auto catalog (like on location)
>or any auto anything running, so what's the deal?
>
>ins_apw@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

Please respond via Email, and i'll summarize to the net.

Thanx,

Thomas Lunde

tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

QUESTION #54:  Is redundancy intrinsically recursive?