[comp.sys.mac.misc] a plea to Apple -- something for the offhand

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (07/20/90)

I should make this plea to the whole pc community, but heck, I have some
admiration for companies with major R&D.

This is a plea for someone to come up with an input device for the off hand/
non mouse-using hand.  I would suggest a dial or pair of dials.  The immediate
use that I see for such a device would be to scroll the active window (one
dial for horizontal and one for vertical).  The best example I know of where
such a system was implemented (I think very effectively) was the video game
Tempest.

*
(Ted Nelson may have made such a statement in Computer Lib (his book), in which case he may also claim a patent or copyright or some such.)

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (07/20/90)

In article <1412@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) writes:

>This is a plea for someone to come up with an input device for the off hand/
>non mouse-using hand.  I would suggest a dial or pair of dials.  The immediate
>use that I see for such a device would be to scroll the active window (one
>dial for horizontal and one for vertical).

This suggestion and the current discussion of three-button mice for the
Mac reminds me to mention a rumor about a really great input device being
developed with the aid of a popular organ company, something I've been
wanting to see for a long time: an ADB footpedal keyboard. Just think! Now a
simple command-option-double click big toe will be all that's necessary instead
of those tiresome scroll bars we hate to deal with. ;-)

ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ((C. Irby)) (07/20/90)

In article <1412@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) writes:
> I should make this plea to the whole pc community, but heck, I have some
> admiration for companies with major R&D.
>
> This is a plea for someone to come up with an input device for the off hand/
> non mouse-using hand.  I would suggest a dial or pair of dials.  The immediate
> use that I see for such a device would be to scroll the active window (one
> dial for horizontal and one for vertical).  The best example I know of where
> such a system was implemented (I think very effectively) was the video game
> Tempest.

This is going on in another string...

Why not use the built-in shift, command, option, and control keys?

It's what I do all day... trust me, it's easy...

> *
> (Ted Nelson may have made such a statement in Computer Lib (his book), in which case he may also claim a patent or copyright or some such.)
C Irby                 || "In one 8 hour period, I worked on a VAX, a
ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ||  Macintosh, three MS-DOS clones, a Novell server,
ac08@untvax            ||  a Unix box, and an Apple IIGS.

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (07/20/90)

From article <1412@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, by jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith):

> This is a plea for someone to come up with an input device for the off hand/
> non mouse-using hand.  I would suggest a dial or pair of dials.  The immediate

I think the inventor of the mouse, Doug Engelbart, did have an input device
for the other hand. As I recall it was a simple five-fingered keyboard.
I'm not sure what the keys did.

He used the mouse and this keyboard to control some kind of hypertext
like system he developed at SRI in the 60's. Apparently he could do
amazing things with it, but everyone else found it difficult or impossible
to learn how to use.

As others have pointed out here, the Mac also provides something for the
non-mouse hand to do, namely play with the modifier keys.

Gary Davis

ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ((C. Irby)) (07/20/90)

In article <37657@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>,
dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:

> This suggestion and the current discussion of three-button mice for the
> Mac reminds me to mention a rumor about a really great input device being
> developed with the aid of a popular organ company, something I've been
> wanting to see for a long time: an ADB footpedal keyboard. Just think! Now a
> simple command-option-double click big toe will be all that's necessary instead
> of those tiresome scroll bars we hate to deal with. ;-)

I always thought they should have one of those motion-detecting helmets...

:)

C Irby                 || "In one 8 hour period, I worked on a VAX, a
ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ||  Macintosh, three MS-DOS clones, a Novell server,
ac08@untvax            ||  a Unix box, and an Apple IIGS.
                       ||  And people wonder why my concentration is

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/20/90)

At various times my girlfriend has tried using a trackball with her
feet and she said that it would take a little practice but that it
seemed like it could be done relatively easily. Then the trackball
died so we never messed with it any more. There were of course some
problems, such as what to do in the winter when it was too cold to
take your shoes (or possibly socks as well) off, or if your feet
sweated a lot in the summer, etc. I suspect some enterprising
engineers could get around the environmental problems with clever
design though.

just a thought ........... Adam

In article <30061.26a665ae@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ((C. Irby)) writes:
> In article <1412@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) writes:
>> I should make this plea to the whole pc community, but heck, I have some
>> admiration for companies with major R&D.
>>
>> This is a plea for someone to come up with an input device for the off hand/
>> non mouse-using hand.  I would suggest a dial or pair of dials.  The immediate
>> use that I see for such a device would be to scroll the active window (one
>> dial for horizontal and one for vertical).  The best example I know of where
>> such a system was implemented (I think very effectively) was the video game
>> Tempest.
>
> This is going on in another string...
>
> Why not use the built-in shift, command, option, and control keys?
>
> It's what I do all day... trust me, it's easy...
>

>> *
>> (Ted Nelson may have made such a statement in Computer Lib (his book), in which case he may also claim a patent or copyright or some such.)
> --
> C Irby                 || "In one 8 hour period, I worked on a VAX, a
> ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ||  Macintosh, three MS-DOS clones, a Novell server,
> ac08@untvax            ||  a Unix box, and an Apple IIGS.
>                        ||  And people wonder why my concentration is
--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Clark Quinn) (07/20/90)

In article <2787@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> gdavis@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <1412@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, by jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu
>>
>> This is a plea for someone to come up with an input device for the off hand/
>> non mouse-using hand.
>
>I think the inventor of the mouse, Doug Engelbart, did have an input device
>for the other hand. As I recall it was a simple five-fingered keyboard.
>I'm not sure what the keys did.

I believe, although I'm not certain, that the five-fingered keyboard
Englebart used was a chord keyboard, where combinations of key presses
could specify different characters.  This has always been a reasonable
idea, with the one caveat that the combinations can be hard to learn.

An acquaintance of mine came up with a ten-key (ie two hand) chord
keyboard that he claimed was faster and easier than even a Dvorak
keyboard.  He tried to get Apple to invest in it.  I was involved in a
CHI lab at the time (at UCSD) and he came and gave a presentation.  Don
Norman (leader of the lab and my advisor) thought that the most
innovative thing about the work was the key mapping that Will had
devised (chord keyboards were old news).  As far as I know, nothing ever
came of Will's keyboard, nor the use of chord keyboards.

It may turn out that the combination of a five-fingered chord keyboard
for one hand and pointing/clicking device for the other (be it mouse,
trackball, or pen) is the most efficient input method for two hands.
Or consider a ten-keyed chord keyboard (which should easily cover all the
separate keys you might want) that could roll around on the desktop.
It will require, however, a good analysis of the efficiency of various
designs of both the physical characteristics of the keyboards and the
psychological issues in mapping key combinations to characters..

I sympathize with the original posters request and hope that further
research might devise such a device.  -- Clark

Clark N. Quinn						(412) 624-9581
Learning Research and Development Center		quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh				quinn@pittunix.bitnet
Pittsburgh, PA 15260

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (07/21/90)

While the modifier keys have some functional use for the off hand, they make
a lousy interface.  The mouse is great because I can see where it is with
peripheral vision, put my hand on it and go without ever looking away from
the screen.  This is not the case with the modifier keys, which I always have
to search for, partly because I use several keyboards in a day, and the modifier
keys are always in different places.

I had forgotten about the chord keyboard.  Heck, I'd be happy with a 5 button
keyboard, forget the chord business (except for the power users who will have
the time and inclination to learn the chords).

*

ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchel) (07/21/90)

In article <1412@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) writes:

>This is a plea for someone to come up with an input device for the off hand/
>non mouse-using hand.

Gee, I think somebody did come up with an idea.  It was called... Hmmm,
let me see now... Oh yeah!  A keyboard!

;-)

Eric

landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman x61391) (07/24/90)

In article <2787@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> gdavis@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>I think the inventor of the mouse, Doug Engelbart, did have an input device
>for the other hand. As I recall it was a simple five-fingered keyboard.

Sounds like the "chord" keyboard sometimes used at Xerox PARC.

>Apparently he could do
>amazing things with it, but everyone else found it difficult or impossible
>to learn how to use.

I don't know about that.  It was great for playing MazeWar.

--
	Howard A. Landman
	landman@eng.sun.com -or- sun!landman

tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (07/24/90)

In article <139441@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman x61391) writes:
>In article <2787@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> gdavis@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>>I think the inventor of the mouse, Doug Engelbart, did have an input device
>>for the other hand. As I recall it was a simple five-fingered keyboard.

	Get a hold of the video proceedings of the ACM Conference on the
History of Personal Workstations. It was held in '86 at PARC and the
tapes can be got from the ACM. They have some footage of Engelbart using
the mouse with one hand and his 'chord' keyboard in the other. It's
quite spectacular. One of the later speakers describes this as
'Dispensing Lightning with Both Hands'. The rest of the tape is pretty
good too.

>Sounds like the "chord" keyboard sometimes used at Xerox PARC.

	Hah just another Xerox ripoff :-)

		Tony

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk

		If a man among you has no sin upon his hand
	    Let him throw a stone at me for playing in the band.

ssimmons@unix.cie.rpi.edu (Stephen Simmons) (07/25/90)

In article <1426@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) writes:

>I had forgotten about the chord keyboard.  Heck, I'd be happy with a 5 button
>keyboard, forget the chord business (except for the power users who will have
>the time and inclination to learn the chords).

Yeah.  A five button chord keyboard would be nice; you could easily
have all the letters of the alphabet with the off hand, and the mouse
with the on hand.  A ten key chord keyboard would be nice too, because
it would (apparently) allow rapid entry of data.  The 95WPM (or so)
barrier of QWERTY keyboards is frustating to me.  I'm not sure I'd buy
five key one, but a ten key one would be for me, worth paying for.

--Stephen Simmons

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (07/28/90)

Don't write off the chord keyboard too soon.

A company in the UK called MicroWriter Systems makes a pocket 'organiser'
(diary, notebook and address/phonebook all in one) called the AgendA. It
costs #195 to #250.

The most notable feature of this device is a five button chord keyboard
that can be used to enter data into the machine. The chords are not too
difficult to learn (took me about 1 hour or so and I wan't really trying)
and eventually after several weeks you should get up to 1.5 times handwriting
speed (in fact the limitation in the speed is mostly to do with the lack of
mechanical feedback -- in the eariler version with clickly finger switches
a user could easily get to twice handwriting speed (around 40 wpm)).

Why mention it here. The company also makes a package to transfer information
to/from a Mac (keep the machine backed up on the mac and keep it capable of
using Hypertalk stacks and transfering notes to WP files). It also allows
you to use the chord keyboard in addition to the main mac keyboard, so you
can keep one hand (the left hand) on the mouse and type with the other. Should
be most useful for spreadsheet use.

The chord keyboard is not dead, just underated.

Kevin

^Kevin ^Purcell .........................Comments? Questions? Flames? Applause?
\ Surface Science      \   Waiter,Waiter,
 \ Liverpool University \   There's a bug in my soup.......
  \ Liverpool L69 3BX    \   ....No Sir! Thats not a bug it's a feature...