[comp.sys.mac.misc] Multifinder Problem

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (07/27/90)

Anyone know what I can do to solve this?

Details:  Mac II, 5 Meg, System 6.0.4, Pyro! 4.0, Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid,
	  Vaccine, QuicKeys, Suitcase II.

Problem:  After opening Quark Xpress and about four other files, Multifinder
	  starts complaining that it can't open any more files.  I've apparently
	  hit some hard limit somehow.  Ideas?
| Internet:   kucharsk@Solbourne.COM	      |	William Kucharski             |
| uucp:	...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk |	Solbourne Computer, Inc.      |
= The opinions above are mine alone and NOT those of Solbourne Computer, Inc. =

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (07/27/90)

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) writes:
>Anyone know what I can do to solve this?

>Details:  Mac II, 5 Meg, System 6.0.4, Pyro! 4.0, Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid,
>	  Vaccine, QuicKeys, Suitcase II.

>Problem:  After opening Quark Xpress and about four other files, Multifinder
>	  starts complaining that it can't open any more files.  I've apparently
>	  hit some hard limit somehow.  Ideas?
Yes.  Open the Suitcase II Options dialog, and tell it that you want to have
15 files open.  Multifinder is supposed to multiply that number by 4 when it
is active.  Another option is "Up your FCBs", an INIT by our good friend
Paul Mercer.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/27/90)

In article <43373@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
>kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) writes:
>>Anyone know what I can do to solve this?
>
>>Details:  Mac II, 5 Meg, System 6.0.4, Pyro! 4.0, Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid,
>>	  Vaccine, QuicKeys, Suitcase II.
>
>>Problem:  After opening Quark Xpress and about four other files, Multifinder
>>	  starts complaining that it can't open any more files.  I've apparently
>>	  hit some hard limit somehow.  Ideas?
>Yes.  Open the Suitcase II Options dialog, and tell it that you want to have
>15 files open.  Multifinder is supposed to multiply that number by 4 when it
>is active.  Another option is "Up your FCBs", an INIT by our good friend
>Paul Mercer.

_Your_ good friend maybe. However, it was actually written by _my_ good
friend, Pete Helme.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.223149.9887@Solbourne.COM> kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) writes:
>Anyone know what I can do to solve this?
>
>Details:  Mac II, 5 Meg, System 6.0.4, Pyro! 4.0, Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid,
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
>	  Vaccine, QuicKeys, Suitcase II.
          ^^^^^^^

Others have posted solutions to the "open files" problem, but I wanted to
comment on this.  Why are you running both Vaccine and Gatekeeper? GateKeeper
provides all the functionality of Vaccine and more, and it seems to me that
running two INITs that do substantively the same thing simultaneously is
asking for trouble.

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (07/28/90)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

>In article <43373@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
>>kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) writes:
>>>Anyone know what I can do to solve this?
>>
>>>Details:  Mac II, 5 Meg, System 6.0.4, Pyro! 4.0, Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid,
>>>	  Vaccine, QuicKeys, Suitcase II.
>>
>>>Problem:  After opening Quark Xpress and about four other files, Multifinder
>>>	  starts complaining that it can't open any more files.  I've apparently
>>>	  hit some hard limit somehow.  Ideas?
>>Yes.  Open the Suitcase II Options dialog, and tell it that you want to have
>>15 files open.  Multifinder is supposed to multiply that number by 4 when it
>>is active.  Another option is "Up your FCBs", an INIT by our good friend
>>Paul Mercer.

>_Your_ good friend maybe. However, it was actually written by _my_ good
>friend, Pete Helme.

Whoops!!! Is my face red!  Sorry Pete!