[comp.sys.mac.misc] A Word 4 problem in need of solution.

miscord@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael Scordilis) (07/25/90)

A document created with Bookman on an SE/30 is transfered to the IIcx for
printing through a LaserWriter. There, when the document is opened it
comes up in Palo Alto fonts (!?!?). The document is selected and changed back
to Bookman.  The big problem is that the figures and tables (originally made
in MacDraw II) cannot be changed to Bookman, they stay in Palo Alto !!!!!
Not to mention the page numbers. I would very much like to avoid redoing
everything on the IIcx.

Desperate for a solution,

Michael Scordilis

miscord@hubcap.clemson.edu

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (07/25/90)

miscord@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael Scordilis) writes:

>A document created with Bookman on an SE/30 is transfered to the IIcx for
>printing through a LaserWriter. There, when the document is opened it
>comes up in Palo Alto fonts (!?!?). The document is selected and changed back
>to Bookman.  The big problem is that the figures and tables (originally made
>in MacDraw II) cannot be changed to Bookman, they stay in Palo Alto !!!!!
>Not to mention the page numbers. I would very much like to avoid redoing
>everything on the IIcx.

>Desperate for a solution,

There's no need to fear!  Underdog is hear!!

(no frog).

In "The Macintosh Bible" (Naiman et al) which just happens to be at
work (where I ain't) there is a very nice discussion of JUST THIS PROBLEM.
Briefly what I remember:  Fonts get numbers.  Due to various reasons,
there are 128 numbers available (forshadowing (a literary device)).
If you have conflicts, you get fonts renumbered.  And then you go elsewhere.
Even if they have the right #'s, you don't!!  And then you fix it, there
or whereever, and then you take it home and you have yet more number conflicts!
I think this'll give you an idea what's up.  Get the book (Naisman? Naiman?),
read the book, live the book.  It's great.  Not perfect, but close.
If there isn't more by the time I get to work, I'll try to extract/compact
his discussion on fonts.

Brian Aslakson
--
Macintosh related:  mac-admin@cs.umn.edu
All else:  aslakson@cs.umn.edu

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (07/26/90)

miscord@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael Scordilis) writes:
|A document created with Bookman on an SE/30 is transfered to the IIcx for
|printing through a LaserWriter. There, when the document is opened it
|comes up in Palo Alto fonts (!?!?). The document is selected and changed back
|to Bookman.  The big problem is that the figures and tables (originally made
|in MacDraw II) cannot be changed to Bookman, they stay in Palo Alto !!!!!
|Not to mention the page numbers. I would very much like to avoid redoing
|everything on the IIcx.
|
|Desperate for a solution,

  I don't know about newer versions (MacDraw II), but the original
MacDraws use the position of the font name in your font menu instead of
anything meaningful like a font number or name. (Maybe they fixed it
sometime before MD II, but I don't know the details...) A possible work
around would be to use Suitcase or someting similar to make the font
names on both systems match. Maybe starting off a floppy with the
same font names as the source Mac. Last refuge (just a stab in the
dark): try copying the document to the Scrapbook and then move that to
the other system.

Good luck!

--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University|

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (07/26/90)

>Question about font problem in Word 4 deleted.

"The Macintosh Bible", 2nd ed, Arthur Naiman editor, Goldstein & Blair
Extract, Chapter 5 - Fonts, The font-numbering mess (Steve Herold), p. 197-204:

     Apple decided that each font would be assigned a unique ID number...(in
fact, the ID number is the only indication saved with a file as to what fonts
are intended)...<discussion of why 128 font ID numbers>...<mentions list of
over 500 fonts>...<Apple doesn't free up reserved font number discussion>...
  Suppose you've created a document in 'News Gothic' and want a headline in
'American Typewriter Bold'.  You load that font into the System file with the
Font/DA mover, type the headline and proof it on your LaserWriter.  Everything
looks great.  Then you go to your local Linotype service bureau and are start-
led to see the headline in 'Melior Italic'.
  Unknown to you, when you installed 'Typewriter', the Font/DA mover renumbered
it to ID 200, because ID 153 was already taken by 'News Gothic'.  In your own
closed world this didn't matter, but anywhere else you no longer have 'American
Typewriter Bold' (since fonts are called by their ID number, not their names).

  <you correct the problem at the service>

  Phase two is even more bizarre.  Since the 'Typewriter Bold' has taken the
ID slot for 'Melior Italic', when you want to use 'Melior Italic' and load it
into your System file it, in turn, is renumbered.  Now two fonts are misnum-
bered.  Like an infectious disease, ID conflicts spread throughout your entire
font collection.

There is much more on fonts, including a list of 500+ fonts and their ID
numbers, advice on how to avoid this problem, so on.  This is an excellent
book, and you get two free updates.

Brian Aslakson
--

BPorter@world.std.com (Barry M Porter) (07/26/90)

In article <9836@hubcap.clemson.edu> miscord@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael Scordilis) writes:
>A document created with Bookman on an SE/30 is transfered to the IIcx for
>printing through a LaserWriter. There, when the document is opened it
>comes up in Palo Alto fonts (!?!?). The document is selected and changed back
>to Bookman.  The big problem is that the figures and tables (originally made
>in MacDraw II) cannot be changed to Bookman, they stay in Palo Alto !!!!!
>Not to mention the page numbers. I would very much like to avoid redoing
>everything on the IIcx.
>
>Desperate for a solution,
>
>Michael Scordilis
>
>miscord@hubcap.clemson.edu

Well, you have found one of the "famous" microsoft word problems.Microsoft
"refuses" to follow established guidelines and use font names, but instead
insists on using font numbers...which is the cause of your conflict. What
you can do is trash your screen fonts from the SE/30 and replace them with
the screen fonts from the IIcx....this should make things appear ok on the
IIcx... Whats happening is that the font number that is assigned to bookman
by your se/30 is assigned to palo alto by the IIcx..If microsoft would
follow the guidelines this wouldn't happen...Good Luck....Barry
.

kevinw@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Kevin Windrem) (07/27/90)

The font mixup problem might be avoided by saving the original file on the
ORIGINAL Mac in RTF (rich text format).  This text based format saves
font NAMES at the beginning of the file.

I have saved a file in RTF format and restored the original document from it,
but have not tried transporting it to another machine to see if it fixed the
font mixup.

Hope this helps.

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul25.191810.13815@d.cs.okstate.edu> minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:
>miscord@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael Scordilis) writes:
-|A document created with Bookman on an SE/30 is transfered to the IIcx for
-|printing through a LaserWriter. There, when the document is opened it
-|comes up in Palo Alto fonts (!?!?). The document is selected and changed back
-|to Bookman.  The big problem is that the figures and tables (originally made
-|in MacDraw II) cannot be changed to Bookman, they stay in Palo Alto !!!!!
-|Not to mention the page numbers. I would very much like to avoid redoing
-|everything on the IIcx.
-|
-|Desperate for a solution,

MacDraw II actually stores the NAME of the font in the  figure, but Word does
not know how to associate the NAME with the font number, and cannot translate
it.  If you imported the MacDraw II documents into MacDraw, and re-saved them
on the IIcx, the font numbers would be changed appropriately.

However, there is an easier way to handle the problem.  Using ResEdit, look
thorugh all the FONDs and FONTs on the SE/30.  Then change the resource number
of the FONDS and FONTs on the IIcx to the same number as the corresponding
name.  If you have been using Suitcase, and Font Harmony, there should not be
any FONTs (well, not many except for the Apple bitmaps) left.  You do NOT have
to change any NFNT numbers, as these are indexed through the FOND.  If you have
FONDs on the IIcx for fonts not on the SE/30, renumber them as needed to avoid
conflicts with the SE/30.  Now, even *Word* documents will import correctly.

Of course, all the work you have done so far will have to be redone (sigh!)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)