[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac Plus ROM Versions

eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (07/27/90)

As I remember, Apple produced three versions of the Macintosh Plus ROM.  The
first contained a bug that prevented the machine from booting if an external
SCSI device was off.  I guess that other bugs were fixed, too.

I'm thinking about buying an external hard disk for my old Mac Plus (with the
first version of the ROMs), and I was wondering --

  + Should I update the ROMs?  Do I need to?

  + Were other important bugs squashed in the later ROM versions?

  + What would be a reasonable price to pay?  A local dealer offered to swap
    my ROMs for $70-$80 each -- this seems a bit high to me.  A few years ago
    (I think) I heard that Apple offered this ROM update as an official "part."
    Does anybody remember the number?

Thanks for all info.

Eric Eide (eeide@cs.utah.edu)         "What did you bring that book I wanted to
University of Utah CS Department               be read to from up from out of?"

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul27.110052.15111@hellgate.utah.edu> eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) writes:
>As I remember, Apple produced three versions of the Macintosh Plus ROM.  The
>first contained a bug that prevented the machine from booting if an external
>SCSI device was off.  I guess that other bugs were fixed, too.
>
>I'm thinking about buying an external hard disk for my old Mac Plus (with the
>first version of the ROMs), and I was wondering --
>  + What would be a reasonable price to pay?  A local dealer offered to swap
>    my ROMs for $70-$80 each -- this seems a bit high to me.  A few years ago
>    (I think) I heard that Apple offered this ROM update as an official "part."

I used to work for an Apple Value-Added-Reseller.  Our understanding
was that the ROM upgrades were free; as long as we traded the old ROMs
back in to Apple, it didn't cost us anything but labor.  I check with
other dealers, if they are available.  If not, I'd contact Apple and
explain the situation.  If the dealer's charge is labor only, it's
still damn steep, but not completely unreasonable -- at $70-80
dollars.  If they really meant they'd charge per ROM, I'd avoid them
like the plague, given a choice.

You know, it's truly amazing, the number of really cruddy Apple
dealerships around....  Is it just Apple dealers, or do all computer
dealers tend towards being slimy?
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

ric@netcom.UUCP (Richard Bretscheider) (07/29/90)

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:
>In article <1990Jul27.110052.15111@hellgate.utah.edu> eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) writes:
>>I'm thinking about buying an external hard disk for my old Mac Plus (with the
>>first version of the ROMs), and I was wondering --
>>  + What would be a reasonable price to pay?  A local dealer offered to swap
>>    my ROMs for $70-$80 each -- this seems a bit high to me.  A few years ago
>>    (I think) I heard that Apple offered this ROM update as an official "part."
I did the ROM upgrade on one of my "underused" Pluses a year ago.  The
whole process was free.  My understanding is that the dealer is supposed
to bill Apple back for the labor costs.  This upgrade should cost you
nothing.

Of course, you should get that in writing before you give your dealer
the go-ahead.

(Not affiliated with Apple Comp., Apple Certified Dealerships, or the
 National Broadcasting Company.)

--
Richard A. Bretschneider              These are my words.  My employer's
Ric Bret                              words are often spoken in haste, and