[comp.sys.mac.misc] SCSI and System 6.04/5

lloeb@spock.UUCP (Lawrence Loeb) (07/30/90)

In <43345@apple.Apple.COM>,austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin)
writes:
>The SCSI driver in 6.0.4 and previous calculated the
>partition checksum incorrectly (and didn't care if it was
>wrong!).The 6.0.5 driver calculates it correctly (according to
>the engineers) and won't mount a drive with a bad partition
>table. I don't know why nobody said anything, I just work here.

This message was gatewayed to BIX ( BYTE Information eXchange) , where
the following reply was posted. I thought the net would be interested.

-- begin reply

I'm not sure what this message was about, and I don't have the
original one to read.  The checksum feature was a problem in the
ROM, not the System file.  I documented this issue in Tech Note
258 "Our Checksum Bounced."  There is no SCSI driver in the
System File.  A SCSI driver resides in the SCSI installer utility
(i.e. HD Setup) and is installed on the hard disk where it
remains.  Running any version of the system will not change the
driver.  This can only be done by running the SCSI utility again,
and updating the driver or initializing the disk.  Nothing in any
of the 6.0x releases has changed SCSI.  I do not understand how
running System 6.0.5 could change anything (although it is
required for the IIfx for many reasons.)  There's a missing piece
to this puzzle.  If Kevin has read Tech Note 258, and still has a
problem then I'd like to hear the details.

Jim Reekes E.O., Macintosh Developer Technical Support 1:20:36 PM
July 27, 1990

--end reply

Laurence H. Loeb, Editor, The Macintosh Exchange on BIX
{..yale}!spock!lloeb  CIS: 72466,1465   BIX:lloeb   AppleLink:PBC