[comp.sys.mac.misc] VANISHED! 12 Mb on a 80 Mb Hard Disk

bhatlas@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Sunil Bhatla) (07/25/90)

The last thing I need is a shrinking hard disk...

My 80 Mb internal hard drive (on a Mac IIx)  shows:

 "66,137K in disk  12,600K free"

But when I catalog all the files (including the desktop)
I can only account for 56 Mb.  I tried Redux and a couple of
disk cataloguing programs, and they all tell me the same thing.

Someone suggested I zap the PRAM, but that didn't help.

Where is the additional 12 Mb?   HELP!!

Sunil Bhatla                      |||  INTERNET: bhatlas@pyrite.som.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University   |||     VOICE: 216/368-2061

marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu (Dave Walker) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.202754.13288@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>
bhatlas@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Sunil Bhatla) writes:
> The last thing I need is a shrinking hard disk...
>
> My 80 Mb internal hard drive (on a Mac IIx)  shows:
>
>  "66,137K in disk  12,600K free"

.
.
> Where is the additional 12 Mb?   HELP!!

Sounds like you've got directory damage.  Try running Disk First Aid (from
your Apple Utilities Disk 1) to fix the trouble.

| Dave Walker, Marmoset Design Ltd.                                      |
| marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu                 "I don't read, I just guess"  |
| marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu       -Happy Mondays, "Wrote For Luck"  |

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.202754.13288@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> bhatlas@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Sunil Bhatla) writes:

>The last thing I need is a shrinking hard disk...
>
>My 80 Mb internal hard drive (on a Mac IIx)  shows:
>
> "66,137K in disk  12,600K free"
>
>But when I catalog all the files (including the desktop)
>I can only account for 56 Mb.  I tried Redux and a couple of
>disk cataloguing programs, and they all tell me the same thing.

I have a similar situation with my MacIIcx.  I was told that it
came with a 40meg quantum drive.  When I select the HD icon and
view the GET INFO menu, it shows only 32 megs available.  How
come?

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Donde hay una cerveza
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |hay un plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |El Guerrero Aereo es el rey!
------------------------------+---------------------------

wgstuken@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Wolfgang Stukenbrock ) (07/25/90)

bhatlas@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Sunil Bhatla) writes:

>The last thing I need is a shrinking hard disk...

>My 80 Mb internal hard drive (on a Mac IIx)  shows:

> "66,137K in disk  12,600K free"

>But when I catalog all the files (including the desktop)
>I can only account for 56 Mb.  I tried Redux and a couple of
>disk cataloguing programs, and they all tell me the same thing.

>Someone suggested I zap the PRAM, but that didn't help.

>Where is the additional 12 Mb?   HELP!!

A suggestion:

Perhaps the 12Mb are hidden files>

Wolfgang

wgstuken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul24.202754.13288@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> bhatlas@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Sunil Bhatla) writes:
> "66,137K in disk  12,600K free"
>
>But when I catalog all the files (including the desktop)
>I can only account for 56 Mb.  I tried Redux and a couple of
>disk cataloguing programs, and they all tell me the same thing.
>
>Where is the additional 12 Mb?   HELP!!

There is a possiblility that the disk space has been lost from the directory
structures on the disk. Apple distributes a utility called Disk First Aid (or
something like that). I believe that it has the capability of recovering "lost"
data sections from your disk.

In fact, I think that this is about the ONLY thing that this program does more
or less correctly :-)

Give it a try, it should be on your utilities disk that came with your system
files.

Hope this helps!

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul24.202754.13288@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>,
bhatlas@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Sunil Bhatla) writes:

> The last thing I need is a shrinking hard disk...
>
> My 80 Mb internal hard drive (on a Mac IIx)  shows:
>
>  "66,137K in disk  12,600K free"
>
> But when I catalog all the files (including the desktop)
> I can only account for 56 Mb.  I tried Redux and a couple of
> disk cataloguing programs, and they all tell me the same thing.
>
> Someone suggested I zap the PRAM, but that didn't help.
>
> Where is the additional 12 Mb?   HELP!! [You mean 10 Mb?]

One thing you could try is Get Info on some of your files. You will
observe that the actual space a file takes up is rounded up to the
nearest multiple of 1024K. Losing bits of space in this way is called
internal fragmentation. If I recall rightly, disks up to 32M allocate in
chunks of 512K, and the unit size goes up with each multiple of 32M.
This is one good reason to partition a large disk. If each partition is
smaller than 32M, you presumably get files allocated in smaller chunks.
(Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I haven't looked at this stuff in detail.)

This can be important if you have lots of small files, since the average
lost will be about half the chunk size per file.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (07/26/90)

I'm sure someone has already suggested this, but remember zapping
the pram does nothing for your desktop file, which is invisible
and can get really BLOATED after a while.  If running unifinder,
I believe that holding down command-shift-clover while quitting
an application will put up a dialog box to rebuild the desktop.
Say yes.  If that is your problem, it will probably take a while
to do, but it might free up the space you need.  Alternatively,
hold down the three keys when starting up your mac, keep 'em down
until the dialog box comes up....

Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu

In the late Devouring Period, fish became obnoxious.  Clamosaurs
and Oysterettes appeared as appetizers.

zubrow+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Zubrow) (07/26/90)

Try running a file defragmentation program like Disk Express.  This
ersolved a similar problem for us.

jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) (07/26/90)

In article <3022@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wgstuken@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Wolfgang Stukenbrock ) writes:
>bhatlas@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Sunil Bhatla) writes:
>

>>The last thing I need is a shrinking hard disk...
>
>>My 80 Mb internal hard drive (on a Mac IIx)  shows:
>
>> "66,137K in disk  12,600K free"
>
>>But when I catalog all the files (including the desktop)
>>I can only account for 56 Mb.  I tried Redux and a couple of
>>disk cataloguing programs, and they all tell me the same thing.
>
>>Someone suggested I zap the PRAM, but that didn't help.
>
>>Where is the additional 12 Mb?   HELP!!
>
>A suggestion:
>
>Perhaps the 12Mb are hidden files>
>
>Wolfgang
>
>wgstuken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

We had the same problem after optimizing an 80 Mb hard drive with
DiskExpress.  The desktop was showing ~ 60Mb full while only a third of the
drive was actually used.  The only solution we had was to restore the drive
to its state before optimization.

Jerome

jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu

SKG102@psuvm.psu.edu (07/27/90)

I had a similar problem when someone unpluuged my Mac during a multiple file
transfer. I was downloading 2 Megs. of files when the machine was unplugged
and it was almost finished. Anyway, when the Mac was restarted the finder
showed only 2 Megs. of space left on the hard disk, which is about what should
have been left had the transfer completed but none of the files that I
downloaded were anywhere to be found on the disk. I believe the problem is that
the volume bitmap which shows which sectors are used and which are not is
updated at the same time the sector is used but the directory is only updated
at certain times, like the way a file may not be completely written to disk
until certain routines are called. I had 2 Megs. of disk space missing.

What I did was this. I have a tape backup so I made a total backup of the disk.
I didn't pay much attention to the file sizes during the backup. After the
backup completed, I reformatted the disk and restored all the files. After the
restoration was complete I had over 10 Megs. of free space on the hard disk.
Not only did I get the 2 Megs. I knew I was missing plus another 6 I didn't.
I know do this about once a month to keep from losing the space and to keep
fragmentation down

                                        Scott George
                                        SKG102@psuvm.psu.edu
                                        SKG102@psuvm.BITNET

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (07/28/90)

> we had the same problem after optimizing an 80 Mb hard drive with
> DiskExpress.  The desktop was showing ~ 60Mb full while only a third of the
> drive was actually used.  The only solution we had was to restore the drive
> to its state before optimization.

	If DiskExpress is doing THAT, I'd hope that they'd never hear the
	end of it ... somehow I'd find that hard to believe...  can you
	indicate a version number of DiskExpress that you are using?
	(you should never fail to give a bit more information than just
	the name of a piece of software)

	anyway, I've been beta-testing the Norton Disk Utilites, and I am
	rather confident that they'd catch and fix the problem, if any
	software does.  A nice set of utilities which I'd hope gets bundled
	for sale by a few disk-labels ...

					Cheers,		---Werner

bdest@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Benoit Desjardins) (07/28/90)

we had the same problem in our lab.  We made a file by file backup on
tape, reformatted the hard drive, and restored the files.  By this
process, we gained back 20 Megs on a 80 megs hard drive.

					Benoit Desjardins

P.S. We were not using DiskExpress

kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) (07/29/90)

There is the possibility someone played a bad joke on you.  Do you leave your
machine open for others to use?  It is possible to create enough folders to fill
up a disk without showing any disk space being used, but this is something that
would not normally occur unless you have a malevolent and patient prankster (in
order to take up 12 megs, this would take half an hour).  The only way I have
found to retrieve the disk space (I experimented with a floppy) is to
reinitialize the disk.  I wouldn't worry about the minimum block size, it would
take a lot of small files to give you 12 megs worth of unused space (if you
wasted a maximum of 2k per file, this would still be 6000 files, enough that you
would be noticing other problems).

Good Luck, but if you are hoping to find a way to get your 12 meg back without
doing a full backup and restore, I think you might end up waiting more time
than it is worth to have the machine out of commission.

Kevin Scott
kscott@socr.mmwb.ucsf.edu

tang@motcid.UUCP (Sam D. Tang) (07/30/90)

bhatlas@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Sunil Bhatla) writes:

>The last thing I need is a shrinking hard disk...

>My 80 Mb internal hard drive (on a Mac IIx)  shows:

> "66,137K in disk  12,600K free"

>But when I catalog all the files (including the desktop)
>I can only account for 56 Mb.  I tried Redux and a couple of
>disk cataloguing programs, and they all tell me the same thing.

>Someone suggested I zap the PRAM, but that didn't help.

>Where is the additional 12 Mb?   HELP!!

A similar shortage happened to my IIcx w/ 80Mb.  I tried the same approaches
you mention also with no luck.  If I remember correctly (this was a while back)
disk first aid fixed the K-free number.  If it doesn't, please let me know.