[comp.sys.mac.misc] What can't it do?

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (07/14/90)

by russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto):
| pbiron@weber.ucsd.edu (Paul Biron) writes:
|>
|>It's even more of a misnomer than you think.
|>When you switch between applications with Multi-Finder, the
|>application you WERE using goes to sleep.  I may be mistaken
|>here, I don't get to use Multi-Finder very often because none
|>of the Macs that I work on have enough memory.  (If I am I'm
|>sure someone will point it out :-)
|
| You ARE mistaken, as anyone who has downloaded a file, decoded a Stuffit file,
| and used Microsoft Word all at the same time knows.

[blah blah blah blah]

  Actually, a program has to tell MultiFinder to give it background
time. (Setting the appropriate bit(s) in the SIZE resource.) Most apps
have nothing useful to do in the background most of the time so they
don't ask for background time and thus are actually asleep. Also, apps
written before MF don't get any background time.
  Have you really decoded a stuffit file and done something else t the
time? I have found that StuffIt (1.5.1) is a cpu hog like nobody's
business and pretty much locks up the machine. Is there something I
missed?

--

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul14.043050.8494@d.cs.okstate.edu> minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:
>  Have you really decoded a stuffit file and done something else t the
>time? I have found that StuffIt (1.5.1) is a cpu hog like nobody's
>business and pretty much locks up the machine. Is there something I
>missed?

	Stuffit has a preference setting for allowing it to work in
	the background under MultiFinder, which really slows it down
	(for obvious reasons) If you do not have this setting turned
	on, Stuffit will become the CPU hog that you claim it to be.

	With all the discussion of Cooperative and pre-emptive multi-
	tasking, I may have missed it, but rarely is it mentioned
	that Cooperative multi-tasking appears on the surface to
	allow for much better performance than pre-emptive will allow.
	I suspect that if MultiFinder or future systems finally give
	us pre-emptive multi-tasking, performance is going to suffer
	right along with it, unless we have 50mhz+ CPU's for the
	masses..

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (07/31/90)

I write:
|   Have you really decoded a stuffit file and done something else t the
| time? I have found that StuffIt (1.5.1) is a cpu hog like nobody's
| business and pretty much locks up the machine. Is there something I
| missed?

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger):
| 	Stuffit has a preference setting for allowing it to work in
| 	the background under MultiFinder, which really slows it down
| 	(for obvious reasons) If you do not have this setting turned
| 	on, Stuffit will become the CPU hog that you claim it to be.

  Actually, I _did_ have the checkbox set, but I found that StuffIt
would give enough ccles in a 100K file to, say, update two or three
windows in the finder. This, however, is on a 2048KE. Since then, I've
gotten an SE/30 which seems to handle the load much better, although I
still wasn't completely satisified.

| 	With all the discussion of Cooperative and pre-emptive multi-
| 	tasking, I may have missed it, but rarely is it mentioned
| 	that Cooperative multi-tasking appears on the surface to
| 	allow for much better performance than pre-emptive will allow.
| 	I suspect that if MultiFinder or future systems finally give
| 	us pre-emptive multi-tasking, performance is going to suffer
| 	right along with it, unless we have 50mhz+ CPU's for the
| 	masses..

  Actually, with all the spoofing MultiFinder has to do, a well written
scheduler that heavily favors the foreground task would most likely do a
pretty good job at making MultiFinder look bad from a technical side,
although the difference would most likely be less than perceptible with
well written cooperative apps. Preemption is just one of those things
that can make a programmer's life easier and cleaner. More important for
the Mac, IMHO, is memory protection. Wouldn't it be nice to know when
some app steps out of bounds, potentially twiddling someone else's bits?
  Perhaps Apple will make some sweeping changes with System 8, but after
the delays we have seen for Sys 7 even though some features were dropped
(my most wanted being the new printing architecture), I don't think I'll
wait for it. :-) Maybe someday I'll be able to afford enough machine for
A/UX and get a good bit from both ends of the spectrum at once.

--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| There are no heroes --