[comp.sys.mac.misc] Disinfectant 2.0 icon

spee@qmfl.jrdc.go.jp (Paul SPEE) (07/26/90)

I just got Disinfectant 2.0 from comp.binaries.mac. While with previous
versions of Disinfectant I would get the Disinfectant Icon when using
Get Info from the Finder menu, I now only get the general application
Icon. What am I doing wrong?

Paul Spee

jfw@cello.mc.duke.edu (John Whitehead) (07/26/90)

In article <852@qmfl.jrdc.go.jp> spee@jrdc.go.jp (Paul SPEE) writes:
>I just got Disinfectant 2.0 from comp.binaries.mac. While with previous
>versions of Disinfectant I would get the Disinfectant Icon when using
>Get Info from the Finder menu, I now only get the general application
>Icon. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing.  I asked John Norstad about this, and he said several people
have reported this problem.  To fix it, use resedit to turn the
"bundle" bit on and the icon will look OK.
    John Whitehead	               Internet:  jfw@neuro.duke.edu
    Department of Neurobiology                    jfw@well.sf.ca.us
    Duke University Medical Center     Bitnet:    white002@dukemc
    Durham, North Carolina

jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (07/26/90)

In article <852@qmfl.jrdc.go.jp> spee@qmfl.jrdc.go.jp (Paul SPEE) writes:
> I just got Disinfectant 2.0 from comp.binaries.mac. While with previous
> versions of Disinfectant I would get the Disinfectant Icon when using
> Get Info from the Finder menu, I now only get the general application
> Icon. What am I doing wrong?

Several people have reported this problem, and I don't know what has
caused it.  I definitely shipped 2.0 with all of the proper "bundle"
resources and with the "bundle bit" set.  You should be able to fix the
problem by using ResEdit or a file editor to set the "bundle" file
attribute, then rebuild your desktop file.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@acns.nwu.edu

schaerer@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (07/31/90)

>>[Paul Spee writes he received Disinfectant 2.0 with only the generic icon]

>[John Norstad writes he shipped Disinfectant 2.0 with the bundle bit set]

I propose an explanation: StuffIt 1.5.1 has a bug, it sometimes forgets
to set the bundle bit. I think this happens when unstuffing into a folder
whose window is open. So, unstuff into closed folders only.

Daniel Schaerer, University of Zurich/Switzerland
schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch