[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple Developer CD's

francis@csli.Stanford.EDU (Dave Francis) (07/27/90)

Is it just me or are there other developers out there who keep getting
Apple Developer CD's (Wanda, Alpha System 7.0, etc.) and can't afford
a CD ROM drive? I have all the discs and have been searching for some
kind of service that will take my CD's (or let me do it) and dump them to
floppies (probably too many) or a hard drive. I don't know anyone with a
ROM drive but would like to have access to SpInside Macintosh and other
goodies on these ROMs. Would other people find a service useful? Are there
CD ROM drive rental places?

Am I all alone?

Thanks,
Dave Francis

topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) (07/28/90)

In article <14659@csli.Stanford.EDU> francis@csli.stanford.edu (Dave Francis) writes:
>Is it just me or are there other developers out there who keep getting
>Apple Developer CD's (Wanda, Alpha System 7.0, etc.) and can't afford
>a CD ROM drive? I have all the discs and have been searching for some
>kind of service that will take my CD's (or let me do it) and dump them to
>floppies (probably too many) or a hard drive. I don't know anyone with a
>ROM drive but would like to have access to SpInside Macintosh and other
>goodies on these ROMs. Would other people find a service useful? Are there
>CD ROM drive rental places?
>
>Am I all alone?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave Francis

I have the same problem and would find a service very useful.  Even more useful,
however, would be a listing of what's actually on the CD so I can decide
whether or not to bother looking for a service/rental shop.

Bob Munroe
topix@utcs.utoronto.ca

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul28.045314.583@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>,
topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) writes:
> In article <14659@csli.Stanford.EDU> francis@csli.stanford.edu (Dave Francis) writes:
> >Is it just me or are there other developers out there who keep getting
> >Apple Developer CD's (Wanda, Alpha System 7.0, etc.) and can't afford
> >a CD ROM drive? I have all the discs and have been searching for some
> >kind of service that will take my CD's (or let me do it) and dump them to
> >floppies (probably too many) or a hard drive. I don't know anyone with a
> >ROM drive but would like to have access to SpInside Macintosh and other
> >goodies on these ROMs. Would other people find a service useful? Are there
> >CD ROM drive rental places?
> >
> >Am I all alone?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Dave Francis
>
> I have the same problem and would find a service very useful.  Even more useful,
> however, would be a listing of what's actually on the CD so I can decide
> whether or not to bother looking for a service/rental shop.
>
> Bob Munroe
> topix@utcs.utoronto.ca

Sheesh, guys if you don't have enough money to buy a CD-ROM then how/why
are you Apple developers?  (VERY TOUNGE IN CHEEK)...

Seriously, have you tried to go by an Apple Dealer?  They ought to have a
CD-ROM in stock since most of the information that they get is on CD from
Apple as well.  I always try to build a good relationship with a local dealer
so that I can do things like this.  Give it a try.  Other than that, save
a bit of money, the player price is getting cheaper, certainly less than
a hard drive.

--
Kurt Baumann