[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help with MS Word 4.0

bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M. Wu) (07/28/90)

------------
Hi:

	A friend of mine is writing a book using Word 4.0 and she's
having difficulties creating indexes and Tables.  The way she writes
her book is as follows.  She writes each chapter one by one and numbers
each of the chapters from page 1.  She creates indexes for each chapter
using Word's "Insert Index" feature.  However, now the book is almost
finished.  She wants to combine all the indexes for each chapter into
one Big index (to be located at the end of the book).  But she doesn't
know how she should do this.

	I told her that if she's got the final version set, she could
start each chapter at the appropriate page numbers instead of always
from page 1 and the indexes associated with each chapter will be updated
accordingly.  Am I correct?  I can't find anything explicit in the
Word manual.  Assuming this can be done, how can she merge all the indexes
into one appropriately?

	Alternatively, should she merge all the chapters?  I don't like
this idea.  I think she's going to end up with a huge document which will
take forever to edit and save.

	Her second problem is with Tables.  She used the Insert Table
command to start a 2-column table.  She then started typing away.
After she typed in approximately 100 entries (rows), she goes into
the PageView mode.  However, she can only see the first 25 rows.  In other
words, she can only see page 1.  Page 2 and the rest are blank.  Somehow
Word put all her entires into page 1, but because she has so many entires,
only the first 25 rows show up on page 1.  I am not sure what it would
be like if she tries to print them out.  The same thing is observed
when I use Print Preview.  Repagination does not fix this problem.
I cna't find anything in the manual about this either.

	Please help as her deadline is fast approaching, < 7 days.
	sorry to impose on the net like this, but it's quite
	urgent to her.

	Thanks in advance.

	Benson M. Wu
	bmwu@athena.mit.edu

sharon@athertn.Atherton.COM (Sharon Veach) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul28.114105.17860@athena.mit.edu> bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M. Wu) writes:
>------------
>In Word, she wants to combine all the indexes for each chapter into
>one Big index (to be located at the end of the book).

Use the "Next" menu item in Page setup to let the system process the
chapters in order.  The indexer should then "do the right thing".
Be warned -- previous (Microsoft Word 3.02) versions of the index
processing facility were unable to handle large indices.  IF you have
not used sub-index headings (I forget the proper name for this) you
could probably process some of the indices separately, then "Sort"
them from the Utilities menu.

>	Alternatively, should she merge all the chapters?

Word will run out of memory/power to do anything.  The book would then
be uneditable, unsavable, un-indexed, in brief, hosed.

>	Her second problem is with Tables.  She used the Insert Table
>command to start a 2-column table.  She then started typing away.
>After she typed in approximately 100 entries (rows), she goes into
>the PageView mode.  However, she can only see the first 25 rows.  In other
>words, she can only see page 1.  Page 2 and the rest are blank.  Somehow
>Word put all her entires into page 1, but because she has so many entires,
>only the first 25 rows show up on page 1.

Your safest option, since I don't know what setting is causing this
problem, is to create 4 Tables of 25 entries each.  The easiest way to do
this is to go to the first 25 entries, and drag the mouse from the left-most
column in row 1 to the lastmost column in row 25, Copy it, go to a place
that has a paragraph marker NOT associated with the 100-entry table, and
do a Put/Paste (i forget the word on the menu -- it's Control-V).

Repeat this for the rest of the table.  If you want it to look a little
nicer, I'ld make each table 20 rows long -- this lets you put a
running caption on each page letting folks know what they are looking at.
Note that when there are tables, the Preview page will not let you
reset the page delimiters.  Dunno why.

Good luck.

Sharon -- not a company spokesperson

miscord@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael Scordilis) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul28.114105.17860@athena.mit.edu>, bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M. Wu) writes:
> ------------

> 	Alternatively, should she merge all the chapters?  I don't like
> this idea.  I think she's going to end up with a huge document which will
> take forever to edit and save.

In fact it is recommended that a book is written with chapters saved as
separate documents.  Provided that the entries in the TOC and the index have
been marked correctly, when ready for printing you can link all chapters
by choosing "next file" from Document (also have page number to Auto in
Section). Then you can compile the TOC and idex for the whole book as if
it was a signle file, and print it.  i

I have found the book "Microsoft Word 4.0, Made Easy", by Paul Hoffman
(McGraw-Hill) extrmely useful.

Good luck to you friend.

Michael Scordilis