[comp.sys.mac.misc] System Font/Size in KanjiTalk 6.0.4

J.Pearce@ucl-cs.UUCP (08/01/90)

From: J.Pearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

I am using KanjiTalk 6.0.4 on a Macintosh with System Switcher to move
between the Japanese and English Systems. The Japanese System uses
Osaka font size 12 for Window and Icon text. This is considerably larger
than on the English System and consequently the Desktop becomes a real
mess of overlapping Icon names.

Does anyone know how to change the size or font used for system text ?

John R. Pearce.

jpearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

Computer Science Department
University College London
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT
ENGLAND.

osamuh@sm.sony.co.jp (HIGUCHI Osamu) (08/01/90)

In article <1108@ucl-cs.UUCP> J.Pearce@ucl-cs.UUCP writes:
 >I am using KanjiTalk 6.0.4 on a Macintosh with System Switcher to move
 >between the Japanese and English Systems. The Japanese System uses
 >Osaka font size 12 for Window and Icon text. This is considerably larger
 >than on the English System and consequently the Desktop becomes a real
 >mess of overlapping Icon names.
 >
 >Does anyone know how to change the size or font used for system text ?

Why don't you try "Layout"?
Layout is a free software that changes the font and size of the text
on the desktop. it also can change the icon spacing.

I changed my desktop font to "Hoso-Mincho" 9-pt on KanjiTalk 6.0.2.1
using Layout(version 1.9) and it works fine. I believe It must works
on 6.0.4 too.

Hope this helps.

By the way, Apple Japan prices a copy of KanjiTalk 6.0.4 at 70,000 Yen
($470) for those who purchased the Mac not from Apple Japan. It's a
little expensive, isn't it?

-----
Osamu HIGUCHI
Sony Corporation -- PC Division
Tokyo

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (08/01/90)

In article <OSAMUH.90Aug1104335@nexus6.sm.sony.co.jp> osamuh@sm.sony.co.jp (HIGUCHI Osamu) writes:
 > In article <1108@ucl-cs.UUCP> J.Pearce@ucl-cs.UUCP writes:
 >  >between the Japanese and English Systems. The Japanese System uses
 >  >Osaka font size 12 for Window and Icon text. This is considerably larger
 >  >than on the English System and consequently the Desktop becomes a real
 >
 > Why don't you try "Layout"?

Or simply edit "LAYO" resource of finder by Resedit. As you (Mr.
Pearce) said, you have English finder on your mac. So you can edit
finder of KanjiTalk comparing with US finder very easily.

Mr. Higuchi:
 > I changed my desktop font to "Hoso-Mincho" 9-pt on KanjiTalk 6.0.2.1
 > using Layout(version 1.9) and it works fine. I believe It must works
 > on 6.0.4 too.

Um, very similar usage:-)
I leave font as Osaka, but  spacing and font size are changed same
as US finder. Why Apple and Apple Japan choose 12pt..., I wonder. Most
of the bad impression of Kanjitalk becomes that "manuke-na" 12pt font
appearance, I think. SweetJam has better designed 9pt font, so look much better
than original(?) KanjiTalk's 9pt Osaka font. This makes the difference
between SweetJam and KanjiTalk impression, as if KanjiTalk finder's
font is alterd.

 > By the way, Apple Japan prices a copy of KanjiTalk 6.0.4 at 70,000 Yen
 > ($470) for those who purchased the Mac not from Apple Japan. It's a
 > little expensive, isn't it?

And I've heard that Apple would sell KanjiTalk for  $750 with "kana"
keyboard in USA. :-O :-O :-O

Masato Ogawa					Sony corp.

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp				Tokyo, Japan