[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac II hardware problem

rc7@prism.gatech.EDU (Richard Catrambone) (07/11/90)

I would like to thank all the people who responded to
my question about the "sonata" I heard when turning on
my MacII.  I was informed of a freeware program that
plays the different tunes and tells you what they mean.
I was also told that the problem could likely have been
to the SIMMs not being seated properly or having some
corrosion.

Thanks again for the help.  You know who you are!
--
CATRAMBONE,RICHARD
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!rc7

francis@csli.Stanford.EDU (Dave Francis) (07/13/90)

I have a Mac II that suddenly doesn't respond to the mouse or keyboard.
(ADB ports seem to be screwed up). I tried different mice and keyboards
and also switched ADB input ports on the back of the machine, no luck.
I called an Apple repair place and explained the problem. The person said
that the "logic board is fried" and I need an entire new one (quote ~$400)

Is there another way out of this? The solution seems a little overkill.

Thanks for any help,
Dave Francis - Sapphire Design Systems

In article <14418@csli.Stanford.EDU> francis@csli.stanford.edu (Dave Francis) writes:
>I have a Mac II that suddenly doesn't respond to the mouse or keyboard.
>(ADB ports seem to be screwed up). I tried different mice and keyboards
>and also switched ADB input ports on the back of the machine, no luck.
>I called an Apple repair place and explained the problem. The person said
>that the "logic board is fried" and I need an entire new one (quote ~$400)
>
>Is there another way out of this? The solution seems a little overkill.

Here's an article I saved-- the chip mentioned may not be your problem, but
its not an expensive way to find out:

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware
Subject: Re: SE Hardware Questions: IWM upgrade, ADB filter
Date: 29 Jun 90 02:31:15 GMT

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
(And don't you follow up your own articles?)

>Symptoms [on the croaked SE] are the usual crackling and ticking noises
from the power
>supply on startup, then nothing.  Occasionally we got startup, but then
>the keyboard and the mousk wouldn't move the cursor or do any functions.
>Aargh.  Had to just turn it off (contrary to my every instinct).

>After a bit of fiddling, we determined that the ADB filter chip is
>likely the culprit (hot and smelly).  Anybody know who makes or where to
>get?  It's by "Tokin", not known to us.  This is the newer board with an
>ADB chip instead of much discrete glue (I sure hope IT'S okay or we're
>really up a creek).

Courtesy Thomas Burton (Rory) Bolt VI:

	Tokin part number 155-007-C (7458) is actually an Apple part number
for the Tokin D-16-C. Single unit price is under $5.00. Specifications available
upon request.  You may reach Tokin via the following:

			Tokin America, Inc.
			2261 Fortune Drive
			San Jose, CA 95131
			Voice: (408) 432-8020
			Fax:   (408) 434-0375

>My first call tomorrow is to Pre-Owned but I thought this an appropriate
>subject for net bandwidth.

And Pre-O and Maya don't sell the parts alone.

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (08/01/90)

francis@csli.Stanford.EDU (Dave Francis) writes:

>I have a Mac II that suddenly doesn't respond to the mouse or keyboard.
>(ADB ports seem to be screwed up). I tried different mice and keyboards
>and also switched ADB input ports on the back of the machine, no luck.
>I called an Apple repair place and explained the problem. The person said
>that the "logic board is fried" and I need an entire new one (quote ~$400)

>Is there another way out of this? The solution seems a little overkill.

If you have plugged/unplugged any of the ADB devices while the machine is
on, you may have blown a fuse on the motherboard.  To my knowledge, it is
soldered on the motherboard, so it requires a board swap.  You could try
attaching the keyboard and/or mouse to another system for verification, or
try attaching a different keyboard using a different cable...

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |