[comp.sys.mac.misc] SE slow opening folder

anne@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Anne Zanotti) (07/30/90)

One of the tutors here recently had a problem with her SE taking close to
5 minutes to open a folder.  She was connected via AppleTalk to a file server
(which had 8 other users) at the time, but the folder was on her own HD.
 When the folder finally opened, she disconnected from the server, closed the
folder and tried again.  The time the folder opened in the expected time.
Was this due simply to the network connection?  If so, why, when there was no need to involve the network in opening that specific folder?  If not, what was the cause?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks,

Anne.

kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) (07/30/90)

 Sorry, I tried to mail, but it bounced.  I don't want to cry
'wolf', but your problem sounds like the symptoms of the WDEF
virus.  Run Disinfectant.

Hope I helped...
--
Brian Kenney                                                 kenney@hsi.com
"She got her good looks from her father.  He's a plastic surgeon"

shannon@dgp.toronto.edu (Shannon McKenzie) (07/30/90)

We had a similar situation here. While viewing the folder in full icon mode
it took forever to open up, whereas, when in text mode it opened fine. We
later discovered there was a WDEV virus on the disk. Upon removing the virus
with Disinfectant the disk preformed nominally.

Shannon

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (07/31/90)

In article <anne.649320229@tasis> anne@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Anne Zanotti) writes:
>One of the tutors here recently had a problem with her SE taking close to
>5 minutes to open a folder.  She was connected via AppleTalk to a file server
>(which had 8 other users) at the time, but the folder was on her own HD.
> When the folder finally opened, she disconnected from the server, closed the
>folder and tried again.  The time the folder opened in the expected time.
>Was this due simply to the network connection?  If so, why, when there was no need to involve the network in opening that specific folder?  If not, what was the cause?

Several people have suggested the WDEF virus as a cause, but in this case I
don't think so. My guess is this:

The folder has a number of "document"s in it; that is, files whose creator
does not exist on the local drive, so they just show up as "document" or
as dog-eared document icons.  When you open the folder, the Finder tries to
find an icon or a creator application [so it can say "ZippyWrite document"
instead of just "document."], a process which involves searching all mounted
drives for the creating application.  Examining the Desktop file on a big file
server takes a long time, and it takes even longer when you're comparing a
bit of info from a dozen files on your local drive to those file server
Desktops.  When the file server is disconnected, the Finder no longer has to
hunt through the Desktop file on those server volumes, so it looks at the
local Desktop file, then merrily opens the folder.

Of course, I could be nuts, but it seems plausible enough... 8)

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."

anne@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Anne Zanotti) (07/31/90)

Many thanks to those who replied with help for this problem.

Anne.

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (08/01/90)

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:

>In article <anne.649320229@tasis> anne@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Anne Zanotti) writes:
>>One of the tutors here recently had a problem with her SE taking close to
>>5 minutes to open a folder.  She was connected via AppleTalk to a file server
>>(which had 8 other users) at the time, but the folder was on her own HD.
>> When the folder finally opened, she disconnected from the server, closed the
>>folder and tried again.  The time the folder opened in the expected time.
>>Was this due simply to the network connection?  If so, why, when there was no need to involve the network in opening that specific folder?  If not, what was the cause?

>Several people have suggested the WDEF virus as a cause, but in this case I
>don't think so. My guess is this:

And his guess is correct!!!

>The folder has a number of "document"s in it; that is, files whose creator
>does not exist on the local drive, so they just show up as "document" or
>as dog-eared document icons.  When you open the folder, the Finder tries to
>find an icon or a creator application [so it can say "ZippyWrite document"
>instead of just "document."], a process which involves searching all mounted
>drives for the creating application.  Examining the Desktop file on a big file
>server takes a long time, and it takes even longer when you're comparing a
>bit of info from a dozen files on your local drive to those file server
>Desktops.  When the file server is disconnected, the Finder no longer has to
>hunt through the Desktop file on those server volumes, so it looks at the
>local Desktop file, then merrily opens the folder.

>Of course, I could be nuts, but it seems plausible enough... 8)

Nope, you're not nuts.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |