[comp.sys.mac.misc] Video image -> Macintosh graphics ?

Vernon_CF@cc.curtin.edu.au (07/31/90)

  *********Help wanted********

Does anyone know of a piece of hardware (and some software)
that allows you to take a video image (either from camera
or VCR) and write it to the Mac ?

I would appreciate any advice and names of suppliers.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
= Chris Vernon,  CSIRO Division of Mineral Products, Perth, Western Australia  =
=  Tel (61) 9 350 5411    Bitnet: Vernon_CF%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet     =
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (08/01/90)

One of our former divisions used to have a product that included
a Mac II and a AT&T Vista video card (related to the Targa line).

This was a very neat 34010 based video coprocessor that supported
NTSC and PAL interlaced or noninterlaced resolutions and timings
for a wide variety of applications with useful driver programs included.

The card directly supported 32 bit Appledraw (or whatever) commands and
had other features including up to 32bits/pixel, built in digitizing
and display functions, chroma-keying, the works...

Strongly recommended!

-----
 "Lets go kick some Earthling butt!" -- Spaced Invaders

quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

aclark@bcarh332.bnr.ca (Alexa Clark) (08/01/90)

In article <3024.26b5c504@cc.curtin.edu.au> Vernon_CF@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:

>  *********Help wanted********
>
>Does anyone know of a piece of hardware (and some software)
>that allows you to take a video image (either from camera
>or VCR) and write it to the Mac ?
>
>I would appreciate any advice and names of suppliers.

There are a couple of NuBus cards that allow you to do this...
The one I know the most about is the MoonRaker Card from
WTI corp...(WorkStation Technologies Corp).

It allows both RGB, and Composite input...so you can feed directly from
a vcr or video camera into the card.  There are sample stacks included
that take advantage of the XCMDs which are also provided with the package.
It also comes with a DA that allows you to get single frame
"snapshots" and save them as PICT files.

(if you are using a IIci, it can't use the onboard video RAM, so you have to
get a video card as well..)

I'm sorry I don't know how to contact WTI though.
hope this helps.
alexa.
stability is all in your mind.
so why bother.
Alexa Clark, BNR, Ottawa, ON.     (613) 765 4998.
..uunet!bnrgate!bcarh332!aclark  AppleLink: cda0119.

dale@bcm.tmc.edu (Dale A. Samuelsen) (08/02/90)

writes:
> Does anyone know of a piece of hardware (and some software)
> that allows you to take a video image (either from camera
> or VCR) and write it to the Mac ?
>
> I would appreciate any advice and names of suppliers.

I've been using the ColorSpace II and ColorSpace FX cards.  They are
manufactured by Mass Microsystems.  Specifically the ColorSpace II card
will let you digitize a video image from a VCR or a video camera.  It
comes with a desk accessory to let you accomplish this task.  The
ColorSpace FX card lets you display a real-time video image on your
Macintosh screen.  It will place the image in a window (and can also be
controlled by HyperCard), or will overlay the image over a color of your
choosing.

These are nubus cards, and thus you must put them in a Mac II system.
I've had mine for a couple of months now, and am quite happy with them.

Note - I have no financial stake or interest in Mass Microsystems.

Dale

Dale A. Samuelsen
Baylor College of Medicine
dale@bcm.tmc.edu
--Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
  those of Baylor College of Medicine.