[comp.sys.mac.misc] Bozo Bit/File Copying

holiday@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Matthew Holiday) (07/30/90)

It use to be that there was the so-called "bozo" bit in each
files header, which when set indicated to the Finder that the
file in question should not be copied to another disk.  (Aside:
it was called the "bozo" bit because "only a bozo would be
deterred" by this form of copy protection.

The bozo bit mechanism now being unavailable, I am wondering
if there isn't a way to prevent a file (a program, really) from
being copied off an AppleShare file server to a client.  THe
server's volume will be locked, but that only prevents copying
*to* the server, not from it.  I'm about to have a lab with
commercial applications available to students, and I'd like
to cut down on piracy.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to prevent such copying?
Thanks in advance!

Matt Holiday                    | "If it were done, when 'tis done,
holiday@tigger.colorado.edu     |  Then 'twere well it were done quickly."
University of Colorado, Boulder |               -- Macbeth I.vii

Bill_W_Michling@cup.portal.com (07/30/90)

You can help prevent copying files from the Appleshare server if you are
using Appleshare 2.0.1. It provides a means to protect a file from copying
from the server to another disk or hard disk. Just run the admin program
,it is not necessary to take the server off line anymore, and choose
Info on files and set the prtection box in the dialog. This is not meant
to be high security as I am sure there are persons who can get arround it.
It will just keep the honest ones honest.
Hope this helps you....
Bill Michling
GMMarianas Electronics-Saipan (Exclusive Apple Dealer for CNMI)

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (08/01/90)

In article <24104@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, holiday@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Matthew Holiday) writes:
<...>
> I am wondering
> if there isn't a way to prevent a file (a program, really) from
> being copied off an AppleShare file server to a client.  THe
> server's volume will be locked, but that only prevents copying
> *to* the server, not from it.  I'm about to have a lab with
> commercial applications available to students, and I'd like
> to cut down on piracy.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a way to prevent such copying?

You can set a nocopy option from the Appleshare Admin program v 2.01.  Go into
Admin on the server, and then choose the "File & Folder Info." menu option
under the "Folders" menu.  Use the file box to choose the application that you
wish to protect and then click the "Get Info" button.  You'll be presented with
a dialog giving info about the program and giving a number of buttons.  Click
the "Copy-Protection" button to set/unset this property.  As far as I know
there is no easy way for anyone to modify this property without using the admin
program on the server - it doesn't show up from ResEdit (or at least it didn't
the last time I checked).

> Thanks in advance!
No Problem!

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
Liverpool University,     * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
PO Box 147                ***************************************************
Liverpool  L69  3BX   "... world's most athletic lover, and currently married
(UK) 051-794-3689      to a trampoline..."

hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org (Steve Hideg (Mr. Fabulous)) (08/01/90)

(Matthew Holiday) writes:
> The bozo bit mechanism now being unavailable, I am wondering
> if there isn't a way to prevent a file (a program, really) from
> being copied off an AppleShare file server to a client.

Okay, is there another way to deter casual copying from a machine
(a la bozo bit) that is not a file server (i.e. someone sticking
in a floppy)?

We have our share of bozos here.

____________________________________
Steve Hideg (N8HSC)

hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org

jinx@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dane Spearing) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug1.152436.27889@math.lsa.umich.edu> hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org (Steve Hideg (Mr. Fabulous)) writes:
>Okay, is there another way to deter casual copying from a machine
>(a la bozo bit) that is not a file server (i.e. someone sticking
>in a floppy)?

Yes -- MacTools (from the PC Tools Deluxe for the Macintosh package)
will allow you to set a "protect" bit that prevents a file from
being duplicated.  Quite a useful program in general.  Centeral
Point Software has just come out with a newer version called
"Macintosh Tools Deluxe".  I've used this feature a number of times
on several Mac SE's with 20Mb hard drives to keep people from copying
the software.  It works great.

--
       Dane Spearing        |  Dept of Geology      |    (415) 723-4092
<---------------------------|  Stanford University  |------------------------>

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (08/02/90)

Either there are a lot of confused people on the net or there is one very
confused person on the net -- me.

I thought that the "bozo" bit simply got renamed to "protect" but that it
mostly worked the same as it always has.  If this is not true could someone
please enlighten us?

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum   |
Brigham Young University               |   Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT  84602             |   Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug1.133506.13171@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) writes:
><How to set 'nocopy' on an appleshare vol deleted>  As far as I know
>there is no easy way for anyone to modify this property without using the admin
>program on the server - it doesn't show up from ResEdit (or at least it didn't
>the last time I checked).

Not exactly.  It doesn't show up in NEW versions of ResEdit.  It DOES show
up in OLD (1.1bx I think) versions.  I know; I've tried with both.  And
copied a few things with an old version.  Hey; it's ok.  I worked in the lab
at the time, and was just seeing if it could be done...

(No, I don't have copies of the files I copied this way...)

Will MacTools let you copy a nocopy file, like it will let you copy a bozo bit
protected file?

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Greetings, Royal Ugly Dudes!