[comp.sys.mac.misc] CD-ROM drive question

burrows@milton.u.washington.edu (William Burrows) (08/02/90)

Does anyone have any experience with the CD-Technology Porta-Drive
CD-ROM drive?

MacUser rates it at 4.5 mice while they give the AppleCD SC only
4 mice.

Thanks.  Please e-mail responses to: burrows@milton.u.washington.edu

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (08/02/90)

In article <5816@milton.u.washington.edu>, burrows@milton.u.washington.edu (William Burrows) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with the CD-Technology Porta-Drive
> CD-ROM drive?

The documentation is...well...substandard.

The drive works fine, though.

------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.
------------

jbr0@cbnews.att.com (joseph.a.brownlee) (08/02/90)

With all the CD talk in this group, I am left with a few questions.  I have to
admit that I am not that familiar with the details of the technology, probably
since I have yet to see a good comprehensive article on the topic that isn't
mostly marketing hype, and since I'm not a "hardware-type".

Ok, that being said, I have the following questions:

    .	Which drive do people like?
    .	What is a good source?
    .	How much should I expect to pay?
    .	Can I get a drive that can write optical media and also
	   read CD's without taking out a second mortgage?
    .	If you have used a CD-ROM drive, did you find it useful?
	   Are there enough CD's out there to justify the purchase?

Any information is appreciated.

--
   -      _   Joe Brownlee, Analysts International Corp. @ AT&T Network Systems
  /_\  @ / `  471 E Broad St, Suite 1610, Columbus, Ohio 43215   (614) 860-7461

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (08/03/90)

jbr0@cbnews.att.com (joseph.a.brownlee) writes:
>    .	Which drive do people like?
Apple and Toshiba are the most popular.  You must get a driver that
works with that drive; the Apple CD-ROM driver doesn't work with other
drives.
>    .	What is a good source?
Apple's drive is available at any authorized Apple dealer.
>    .	How much should I expect to pay?
U.S. suggested retail price is $899.00
>    .	Can I get a drive that can write optical media and also
>	   read CD's without taking out a second mortgage?
No.
>    .	If you have used a CD-ROM drive, did you find it useful?
Yes.
>	   Are there enough CD's out there to justify the purchase?
Depending upon what you're doing, yes.  For instance, Apple is
distributing all its developer information on CD-ROM.  Microsoft Office
is a CD-ROM containing all the popular Microsoft applications for the
Mac plus lots of add-ons for a price significantly lower than the cost
of the separate applications.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (08/03/90)

[The following is an excerpt from an article I wrote for Computer
 Currents magazine.  This information is not, of course, complete,
 but should be some useful fuel for the fire, as it were.  -- Dave]

--------
		... Which CD-ROM Drive To Get

    (C) Copyright 1990 Dave Taylor.  All Rights Reserved.

Before we look at the wealth of information available on CD-ROM, let's
have a quick check into what companies offer CD-ROM units, and what kind
of price you can expect to pay for them.

The first and foremost company is Apple themselves, with the newly
redesigned CD-SC CD-ROM player.  The current, recently lowered price for
the unit is under $1000 retail, with the best advertised price
approximately $800 or so.  The unit was redesigned, by the way, because
the older models were prone to collecting dust on the optical lens
(through which a laser shines and records reflections, the fundamental
CD technology).  Average seek time on the Apple CD-SC is 600
milliseconds.

known for their fine audiophile equipment.  This unit has an average
access time of 350 milliseconds, supports audio straight off the disc,
and even has a built in audio speaker so you can use it just like a
little audio CD player.  The DRD-253 configured for a Macintosh to hook
up to the SCSI port is $829 complete.

NEC Electronics also offers a couple of different CD-ROM players for the
Macintosh environment.  The portable CDR-35 kit is clocked at a slow
1500 millisecond average seek time, but is quite totable at almost the
same size as the small Sony D-7 audio CD unit.  NEC also makes a larger
desktop unit that features the same color scheme as the Macintosh
itself, the CDR-77, and about three times the performance of their
portable unit, with an average seek time of 500 milliseconds.  Pricing
is $599 for the portable unit and $749 for the desktop model.

Toshiba also has a pair of CD-ROM drives available for the Macintosh,
with one priced amazingly low at under $700.  The lower priced unit is
the XM-5100A and it features 380 millisecond seek time and front panel
audio output and volume control.  The small profile desktop XM-3201A is
slightly faster at 350 millisecond average seek time.  Pricing on both
are:  $699 for the XM-5100A and $799 for the XM-3201A unit.

This is not an exhaustive list of what drives are available for the
Macintosh.  Also, the prices should be used as indicators, not as
suggested retail; a quick glance through some adverts in the latest
issue of MacWorld indicated prices that while for the most part were
similar to the above, had the NEC portable for $399, and the Toshiba
XM-3201A unit for $899 (in the same advert).  Shop around once you've
decided on a particular drive.

Note that with the exception of the Apple drive, all the drives
mentioned here can easily be used on a PC too, thereby making them
perhaps an even wiser investment for a mixed computer office or work
environment.  On the down side, they all require that you use a rather
awkward CD disc caddy; a small plastic disc holder that requires some
fiddling to open typically.  For reasons that we can't fathom, all the
CD-ROM drive makers have decided that the ease of disc swapping in an
audio CD drive isn't appropriate for the presumably more delicate CD-ROM
discs.  Spare disc caddy's, which seem to be identical for all vendors,
are about $12 each.

--------

Hope that's a help!
						-- Dave Taylor