[comp.sys.mac.misc] Serial port extender

UD041948@NDSUVM1.BITNET (08/01/90)

I have the Apple MIDI box, an Imagewriter II, and a modem, so both my
serial ports are full, and I need to keep switching between my
Imagewriter II and MIDI box.  Anyone know where I can buy a 2 foot (about)
extender for the DIN serial port?  Anyone else with this problem and
a possible solution?
-------
  Joe Carlin (FWA)     Don't Panic!     ud041948@ndsuvm1.bitnet
 "I seem to be having this terrible difficulty with my lifestyle."
                                        - Arthur Dent, HGTTG
 "Hello, I know that you've been feeling tired.
  I bring you love and deeper understanding."    - Kate Bush

thanatos@pro-graphics.cts.com (Steve Godun) (08/05/90)

Well, I don't have the problem you mentioned (re: serial port), but I do know
someone who DOES have that problem. He purchased a switch box with a two foot
(approx) cable on it. Plug the switch box into the printer port, plug your
serial devices into the two ports on the switch box (in his case, an
ImageWriter II and a scanner; in your case, the ImageWriter II and MIDI box)
and use the switch to decide which device to use. Check your local computer
store for such a box. I *think* my friend got his at a computer flea market,
but I'm not entirely sure.

 ProLine: thanatos@pro-graphics          | Some things in life are too good
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!thanatos | not to be experienced, like the smell
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!thanatos@nosc.mil | or a rose, a kiss, or a Corvette ZR-1
Internet: thanatos@pro-graphics.cts.com  | doing 0-60 in 4.6 seconds.