[comp.sys.mac.misc] Resedit and FileGuard

jg23+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Gray) (07/28/90)

Hi, I have a real big problem.  I got FileGuard 2 month ago and now I found thatresedit is able to delete every resource in FileGuard, which makes FileGuard
useless because it's a security software.  Is there a way I can make it so
resedit is unable to delete the resources in FileGuard?

Thanx in Advance

John

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (07/30/90)

In article <AagBQF600WB7IDzGNI@andrew.cmu.edu> jg23+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Gray) writes:
>Hi, I have a real big problem.  I got FileGuard 2 month ago and now I found thatresedit is able to delete every resource in FileGuard, which makes FileGuard
>useless because it's a security software.  Is there a way I can make it so
>resedit is unable to delete the resources in FileGuard?

You could store one of your 'important' resources in the data fork--ResEdit
doesn't edit that.

Mark

--
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/02/90)

>In article <AagBQF600WB7IDzGNI@andrew.cmu.edu> jg23+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Gray) writes:
>Hi, I have a real big problem.  I got FileGuard 2 month ago and now I found
>that resedit is able to delete every resource in FileGuard, which makes
>FileGuard
>useless because it's a security software.  Is there a way I can make it so
>resedit is unable to delete the resources in FileGuard?

You could lock the file, but a ResEdit user could change that.  A more
important question, so far as I'm concerned, is:

 -Why in the world is ResEdit openly available on a supposedly "secure"
  machine?  RessEdit can be used to effectively gut _any_ software on the
  Mac.

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/02/90)

In article <1938@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>>In article <AagBQF600WB7IDzGNI@andrew.cmu.edu> jg23+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Gray) writes:
>>Hi, I have a real big problem.  I got FileGuard 2 month ago and now I found
>>that resedit is able to delete every resource in FileGuard, which makes
>>FileGuard
>>useless because it's a security software.  Is there a way I can make it so
>>resedit is unable to delete the resources in FileGuard?
>
>You could lock the file, but a ResEdit user could change that.  A more
>important question, so far as I'm concerned, is:
>
> -Why in the world is ResEdit openly available on a supposedly "secure"
>  machine?  RessEdit can be used to effectively gut _any_ software on the
>  Mac.
>
><chaz>
>--
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."
>                              - Flaming Carrot
>clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                 AOL:Crowbone

I don't think he actually said that ResEdit was available on the
machines (although I don't have the original message anymore, so I
could be wrong).  In any case, lots of people have ResEdit who haven't
bought it, aren't programmers, and for the most part don't really know
what it's used for; they do know how to use it to do things like muck
around with the Finder information.  Just because it's not publicly
available at this guy's site with a sign saying "Copy me" doesn't mean
that people can't get copies of it.  And, as you said, folks who do
know how to use it can then use it to gut _any_ software on any
Macintosh they please.

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug2.164635.6825@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
>I don't think he actually said that ResEdit was available on the
>machines (although I don't have the original message anymore, so I
>could be wrong).  In any case, lots of people have ResEdit who haven't
>bought it, aren't programmers, and for the most part don't really know
>what it's used for; they do know how to use it to do things like muck
>around with the Finder information.  Just because it's not publicly
>available at this guy's site with a sign saying "Copy me" doesn't mean
>that people can't get copies of it.  And, as you said, folks who do
>know how to use it can then use it to gut _any_ software on any
>Macintosh they please.

That's true, but do you [or more accurately, does he] want to mess around
trying to secure his machine[s] from what could be the most powerful tool
avaiable for the mac? From what I've read, FileGuard, along with many other
products, can be very effective in deterring some attempts to mess with the
machine, but none can really stand up to malicious attempts to circumvent
them.

t seems to me that the users of a public computing facility can be loosely
split into two groups:

	1. Clueless people.

	   These folks just want to come in, use SuperPaint, and leave.
  	   They're not interested in how the machine works; only that it
 	   does.  If they were to destroy something with ResEdit, they
	   would do so because they launched ResEdit to see what it did,
	   and got in over their heads.  These folks don't bring ResEdit
	   in with them; one can avoid problems by making sure that
	   tools like ResEdit are not avaiable to them in the facility.

	2. Computer-literate people.

 	   These folks know how the machine works, and have outside access
	   to tools and such.  They will very often carry things like
	   ResEdit around with them.  In my experience, trying to make a
	   public facility immune to them is a losing proposition.

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/03/90)

In article <1941@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>In article <1990Aug2.164635.6825@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
>>I don't think he actually said that ResEdit was available on the
>>machines (although I don't have the original message anymore, so I
>>could be wrong).  In any case, lots of people have ResEdit who haven't
>>bought it, aren't programmers, and for the most part don't really know
>>what it's used for; they do know how to use it to do things like muck
>>around with the Finder information.  Just because it's not publicly
>>available at this guy's site with a sign saying "Copy me" doesn't mean
>>that people can't get copies of it.  And, as you said, folks who do
>>know how to use it can then use it to gut _any_ software on any
>>Macintosh they please.
>
>That's true, but do you [or more accurately, does he] want to mess around
>trying to secure his machine[s] from what could be the most powerful tool
>avaiable for the mac? From what I've read, FileGuard, along with many other
>products, can be very effective in deterring some attempts to mess with the
>machine, but none can really stand up to malicious attempts to circumvent
>them.
>
>t seems to me that the users of a public computing facility can be loosely
>split into two groups:
>
>	1. Clueless people.
>
>	   These folks just want to come in, use SuperPaint, and leave.
>  	   They're not interested in how the machine works; only that it
> 	   does.  If they were to destroy something with ResEdit, they
>	   would do so because they launched ResEdit to see what it did,
>	   and got in over their heads.  These folks don't bring ResEdit
>	   in with them; one can avoid problems by making sure that
>	   tools like ResEdit are not avaiable to them in the facility.
>
>	2. Computer-literate people.
>
> 	   These folks know how the machine works, and have outside access
>	   to tools and such.  They will very often carry things like
>	   ResEdit around with them.  In my experience, trying to make a
>	   public facility immune to them is a losing proposition.
>
><chaz>
>                              - Flaming Carrot
>clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                 AOL:Crowbone

I agree with all of your statements, but I guess I don't see your
point.  Yes, it's generally possible to secure a computer system
against folks who aren't real computer-literate (which is
operationally defined as folks who don't know enough to break
security, which is therefore a truism).  No, it's generally not
possible to secure a machine against the people who are somewhat
computer-literate (again, operationally defined as those folks who do
know enough to break security).  The question, then, is how many
people are in the former vs. the latter group, i.e., how many people
will be deterred from mucking up the machine by the security
mechanisms?  The answer: probably enough to make it worthwhile.

Any experienced user, however, can generally break security without
ResEdit: the easiest tool to use is a System disk.  Boot the machine
with a floppy, and viola, all of the protective INITs and cDEVs don't
do anything.  ResEdit helps, of course, for doing things like making
the System Folder visible when necessary, but it's certainly not
essential.

Anyway, your point (I think) in your previous post was to ask why
ResEdit was available on a (supposedly) secure machine.  My response
was that in fact the original poster didn't say it _was_, but it
probably wouldn't matter anyway, because it's so easy to get a copy of
it.  Finally, protecting FileGaurd wouldn't do that much good, because
a boot disk with ResEdit could bypass FileGaurd (by not installing it
at boot time), and with ResEdit the user could cause as much mischief
as his/her little heart desires.

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }
Computing Organizations {  those of my employers (or anybody else). }

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Aug3.163157.28701@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
paraphased: "What was your point, chaz?"

Boy, I was really in the mood to babble, yesterday, wasn't I?

My point, I guess, was that the original poster's worrying about ResEdit
being able to gut his security software seems a little needless.  If ResEdit
is not available on the secured machine, then the only people he has to
worry about are malicious folks who bring ResEdit or similar tools into the
facility with the intent of using them for nefarious purposes, and attempting
to protect his FileGuard software from these people will be near impossible,
no matter what he uses.

If ResEdit _is_ available on the secured machine [which I assumed it was,
given that he seemed pretty concerned about the possibility] then he opens
himself up to average users saying "What's this?" and mucking around, as
well as encouraging the malicious ones.

An analogy would be:  The front door of my house has a good, solid lock on
it [unpickable, according to the manufacturer]; however, any thief with a
chainsaw [a tool which is fairly easy to come by] could very easily bypass
the lock and go right on in, if he wanted my TV badly enough. I just don't
think losing sleep over trying to eliminate the fairly unlikely possibility
makes any sense.

Then again, I might just be babbling again, David.  Fell free to ignore me
if I am... 8)

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Aug3.163157.28701@midway.uchicago.edu>, dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes...

-In article <1941@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
-Any experienced user, however, can generally break security without
-ResEdit: the easiest tool to use is a System disk.  Boot the machine
-with a floppy, and viola, all of the protective INITs and cDEVs don't
-do anything.

Sorry, Wrongo, read on...

-it.  Finally, protecting FileGaurd wouldn't do that much good, because
-a boot disk with ResEdit could bypass FileGaurd (by not installing it
-at boot time), and with ResEdit the user could cause as much mischief
-as his/her little heart desires.

You might want to try FileGuard out before saying stuff like this.
FileGuard will effectively and completely prevent someone from accessing
a protected volume, *even if they boot off a system diskette!*. When you
boot a mac from a system diskette and the FileGuard protected volume
mounts you will be asked for a password. If you don't have it the volume
won't mount and is inaccessible, even from HD Setup--for those who would
be so perturbed at such protection that they would attempt a low level
format.

FileGuard will allow "guest" access to a FileGuard protected volume,
so you can boot off of the FileGuard protected HD without supplying
a password; doing so of course puts the guest under the control of
whatever options the FileGuard administrator has chosen. This can
include the disallowal of inserting any diskette, which would prevent
an unwanted ResEdit from running. It also makes it hard to save your
docs on a diskette, tho you could use an AppleShare drop folder...

What FileGuard lacks and needs is a way to prevent the lauching of
undesirable apps like ResEdit. More importantly it needs a way to
intercept the types of calls these apps could potentially make
by malicious users bent on defeating FileGuard or screwing up other
System Folder files. This was, I believe, the original posters
concerns.

Compared to A.M.E, from Casady & Greene, I find FileGuard a real
useful, robust, ez to use program.

>>> yahnke@macc.wisc.edu <<<

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/05/90)

In article <4141@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke,
MACC) writes:
>In article <1990Aug3.163157.28701@midway.uchicago.edu>,
>dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton--me) writes...
>
>-Any experienced user, however, can generally break security without
>-ResEdit: the easiest tool to use is a System disk.  Boot the machine
>-with a floppy, and viola, all of the protective INITs and cDEVs don't
>-do anything.
>
>Sorry, Wrongo, read on...
>
>You might want to try FileGuard out before saying stuff like this.
>FileGuard will effectively and completely prevent someone from accessing
>a protected volume, *even if they boot off a system diskette!*. When you
>boot a mac from a system diskette and the FileGuard protected volume
>mounts you will be asked for a password. If you don't have it the volume
>won't mount and is inaccessible, even from HD Setup--for those who would
>be so perturbed at such protection that they would attempt a low level
>format.

On your advice, I looked at it.  You're right.  Mea culpa.

I've always been curious how security systems manage to do this.  I
assume that it's done by patching the device's SCSI driver.  FileGaurd
appears to install a Notification Task from the driver which prompts
for the password (and masks the interrupts so that it's not possible
to get into the debugger).  Presumably what happens is the Open call
sets a flag somewhere in the driver's private storage so that the
first Control (or Status?) call installs the request, and the NM
Response procedure clears the aforementioned flag, signifying that the
driver can then respond normally to calls, and the driver posts
a disk-inserted event so the startup application can mount it.
In pseudo-code,

  case drvrMessage of
	open: ...
		userCleared:=false;
		doMount:=true;{  assume we should mount it }
		notificationPosted:=false;

	control: ...
		if doMount then
	 	  if not (userCleared) then
		    if not (notificationPosted) then
		      begin
			NMInstall(...);
			notificationPosted:=true;
		      end
		    else
		      if (notificationRecvd) then
			doMount:=false;
		   else
		    {  Handle control calls normally  }
		     PostDiskInsertEvent
		else
		  {  Sorry, bucko, you're hosed  }

If this assessment is wildly (or even mildly) inaccurate, could
somebody explain in general how the protection might be implemented?