[comp.sys.mac.misc] simm/tools

gt7601b@prism.gatech.EDU (TSUNG,FU-LIN) (08/06/90)

 HI, I made a post on Saturday about where or how to open my MAC, a couple of
fellow studs. on my campus have already offered to help, so no need to reply,
thanks.  Next time I'll post in my local area first, so I won't waste your
net time.     Cheers.

demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (08/06/90)

In article <12209@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt7601b@prism.gatech.EDU (TSUNG,FU-LIN) writes:

>With all the talk about the low simm prices on the net, my wallet is
>getting read for another diet program, but it gets any thinner, can someone
>tell me how I can open my mac w/o a tool set, or where can I order a cheap
>set of mac tools (my local discount computer shop wants $50.00 for mac tools).

I just received an order of simms from Technology Works, and they included
a mac-opening tool at no cost.

--

Regards,

Darryl Marsee
Syracuse University
<demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu>

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/07/90)

In article <12209@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt7601b@prism.gatech.EDU (TSUNG,FU-LIN) writes:
>can someone
>tell me how I can open my mac w/o a tool set, or where can I order a cheap
>set of mac tools (my local discount computer shop wants $50.00 for mac tools).

All you really need is a Torx T-15 long-shaft screwdriver and an anti-static
wrist strap.  Any hardware store should be glad to sell you the former, and
any electronics store the latter.

Actually, I've upgraded a dozen Macs without ever using an anti-static strap,
and have never had any problems.

Many firms sell things called "MacOpener" or "MacCracker" or the like, which
are basically a long-shafted T-15 with a case splitter on the end.  I paid
about $20 for mine, and if you're going to be doing a lot of this, it's worth
it.

<chaz>

--
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."