[comp.sys.mac.misc] Keyboard Weirdness --> An ANSWER

sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA (07/26/90)

Hiya,

    For those of you who do not remember or have not read... A little
while ago I posted an article about some strange keyboard behaviour.
Namely, if you press the following combination of keys at the same
time (or to quickly) you get garbage generated :

	u t space
	m p comma
	m minus comma

    I asked what the problem was due to.

    Well, it is the KEYBOARD, not anything else. I have isolated the
problem to the keybaord and can duplicated it on most machines (ci,
II, SE, SE/30).

    The solution... My keboard is still under AppleCare, I took it in
to our microstore, and they are replacing it. If your keyboard is not
under AppleCare, I suggest you bug Apple to do a recall and
replacement.

    I have found the problem in at least 2 keyboards, and others have
told me of the same problem. (Are you listening Apple ?)

	maurice

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      GEnie M.SHARP5

Gavin_Eadie@um.cc.umich.edu (Gavin Eadie) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul25.193016.9109@calgary.uucp> sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
writes:
>     Well, it is the KEYBOARD, not anything else. I have isolated the
> problem to the keybaord and can duplicated it on most machines (ci,
> II, SE, SE/30).

Does this mean that some keyboards exhibit the problem and some don't.

I passed this problem to Mac Technical Support and they have verified it
is real and submitted a bug report to whoever it is that fixes such
things. At first glance it seems Maurice is saying it's hardware and Apple
is saying it's software but, of course, with things like keyboards, it's a
bit hard tell which is which!

mosemann@hoss.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) (07/26/90)

In <1990Jul26.122045.2938@terminator.cc.umich.edu> Gavin_Eadie@um.cc.umich.edu (Gavin Eadie) writes:

>In article <1990Jul25.193016.9109@calgary.uucp> sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
>writes:
>>     Well, it is the KEYBOARD, not anything else. I have isolated the
>> problem to the keybaord and can duplicated it on most machines (ci,
>> II, SE, SE/30).

>Does this mean that some keyboards exhibit the problem and some don't.

>I passed this problem to Mac Technical Support and they have verified it
>is real and submitted a bug report to whoever it is that fixes such
>things.

   I have experienced this problem not only with Apple's supplied
keyboards, but also with my own I purchased from another vendor.  I had my
keyboard replaced (they were kind enough to do so) because I thought it
was defective, but the problem did not go away.  I can also repeat the
errors on both types of keyboards.  I wonder if it is the keyboard driver
messing up or something strange about the ADB.

Russell
mosemann@hoss.unl.edu

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (08/01/90)

>Does this mean that some keyboards exhibit the problem and some don't.
>
>I passed this problem to Mac Technical Support and they have verified it
>is real and submitted a bug report to whoever it is that fixes such
>things. At first glance it seems Maurice is saying it's hardware and Apple
>is saying it's software but, of course, with things like keyboards, it's a
>bit hard tell which is which!

I have the same problem on my Mac at work and at home.  If I type the
string ...

outgoing

the keyboard will actually type ouging or ou;oing.  In fact it just
happened!  Notice that the letter "t" is the culprit much of the time
Its strange that I CONSISTANTLY get a semi-colon supstituted for the
"t" and "g".  This indicates to me something more than a random error
or dirt in the keyboard.

According to one poster, Apple claims that the problem is due to
"software."  Yeah right.  Apple has their SEP field (somebody else's
problem) turned up full I see and it'll probably take another big
stink like the quantum hard disk fiasco to get them to upgrade the
quality of their products.

ORGANIZATION:  Advanced Decision Systems   GEOGRAPHIC: Arlington, VA
UUCP:          kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu  INTERNET:   jtn@potomac.ads.com
SPOKEN:        Yo... John!                 PHONE:      (703) 243-1611
PROJECT:       The Conrail Locomotive/Harpsichord Fusion Program

jhood@biar.UUCP (John Hood) (08/05/90)

In article <9005@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:
>>I passed this problem to Mac Technical Support and they have verified it
>>is real and submitted a bug report to whoever it is that fixes such

It's hardware.  It's a design choice; keyboard manufacturers can design
keyboards to accommodate any number of keys being held down at a time,
or they can choose to only have the keyboard work properly with some
small number of keys (usually 2) held down, which is a bit cheaper.  I
think all apple keyboards fall in the latter category.  Some PC
keyboards do, some don't.

It's a bit amusing that the tech support people didn't know this and are
treating it as a bug.

  --jh

--
John Hood, Mann Library, Cornell University
domain: jhood@albert.mannlib.cornell.edu bang: anywhere!uunet!biar!jhood

mah@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Michael Hoffhines) (08/07/90)

>In article <9005@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:
>>>I passed this problem to Mac Technical Support and they have verified it
>>>is real and submitted a bug report to whoever it is that fixes such
Having an interest in seeing this problem solved as I am bit by these problems
on a daily basis, I would like to know if there is any new word from Apple
on this problem. From my experience and from other postings there are at
least two *very* replicable observations (not necessarily independent) that
have been reported here before. In summary:
1. A minimun of 3-letter sequences that have 'oh', most frequently, as the
last character if typed rapidly enough do not produce the 'oh' and seem to
'lock' out any further 'oh's from being typed until something else is typed.
For example, I frequently get this behavior when I type the work 'problem'.
Try typing 'pro' quicking on your keyboard. It shouldn't take too long before
you generate only 'pr' and you can then try typing the 'oh' repeatedly with
little success until you strike a different key.

2. Sometimes a ';' gets sent when the 'return' key is struck after a quick
series of keys are struck, e.g. I see this most commonly when typing
'logout<return>'. I had for sometime thought that I just wasn't hitting
the return key until someone else posted this problem and I went back and
reproduced it on my keyboard (extended keyboard with SE/30).

I realize that the above has appeared before, but I would like to see this
problem resolved soon so I can have all my keyboard back. They create real
for anyone that doesn't watch the screen when typing and I would think
that they make up a sizable portion of Mac users.

In article <1157@biar.UUCP> jhood@biar.UUCP (John Hood) writes:
>It's hardware.  It's a design choice; keyboard manufacturers can design
>keyboards to accommodate any number of keys being held down at a time,
>or they can choose to only have the keyboard work properly with some
>small number of keys (usually 2) held down, which is a bit cheaper.
This is an interesting proposal. It fits with the observation that the
smallest key-stroke sequence I have found to generate the problems above
is three. However, certainly the Mac keyboard handles more than two
simultaneous keystrokes, otherwise we would miss out on all those fun
command-option-shift 'key' combinations. Secondly, I wouldn't consider
the key combination given in 1 above to be simultaneous. If the keys
are struck simultaneously, only one character appears. If, however, the
keys are struck in very quick succession, an inappropriate character appears,
as in 2, or the keyboard gets very modal as in 1. This may well be the
answer (I hope not), but it demands a little deeper explanation I think.

>It's a bit amusing that the tech support people didn't know this and are
>treating it as a bug.
I don't find it at all amusing. I hope the problem will be resolved soon,
whatever is underlying cause.

>  --jh
>
>--
>John Hood, Mann Library, Cornell University
>domain: jhood@albert.mannlib.cornell.edu bang: anywhere!uunet!biar!jhood

- Mike