[comp.sys.mac.misc] SE/30 + SIMM problem

fmidgley@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Frank Murray Midgley) (08/06/90)

	This weekend, I attempted to upgrade my Mac SE/30 to 2.5M.  I got
the casing open and the logic board removed with no trouble.  The first two
SIMM slots had four 256K boards in them, as it should.  I inserted the two
new boards into the third SIMM slot.  When I closed up the case and restarted
the Mac, I got the sad mac sound, along with a strange checkerboard pattern
on the screen.  I then tried placing one board in the third slot, and the
second board in the fourth slot.  Same reaction from the computer.  When I
removed the new boards, it went back to normal.  Am I doing this totally
wrong?  I was grounded the whole time by a wrist tap, so I don't think I
damaged the boards or the Mac.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
| fmidgley@phoenix.princeton.edu  |    This space left blank due to a lack    |
|                                 |                                           |
| "Your fault -- core dumped."    |    of imagination.          So sue me.    |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/07/90)

In article <1668@idunno.Princeton.EDU> fmidgley@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Frank Murray Midgley) writes:

>	This weekend, I attempted to upgrade my Mac SE/30 to 2.5M.  I got
>the casing open and the logic board removed with no trouble.  The first two
>SIMM slots had four 256K boards in them, as it should.  I inserted the two
>new boards into the third SIMM slot.  When I closed up the case and restarted
>the Mac, I got the sad mac sound, along with a strange checkerboard pattern
>on the screen.  I then tried placing one board in the third slot, and the
>second board in the fourth slot.  Same reaction from the computer.  When I
>removed the new boards, it went back to normal.  Am I doing this totally
>wrong?  I was grounded the whole time by a wrist tap, so I don't think I
>damaged the boards or the Mac.  Any advice would be appreciated.

The problem is that a Mac SE/30 cannot be upgraded to 2.5 megs.  WRT memory
upgrades, an SE/30 is the same as the II family, to wit:

There are two banks of four slots each.  A bank must be _completely full_ with
SIMMs of the same size.  So, the available memory configurations are:

  Bank:          A        B           Total RAM:
  SIMM Size:  4 * 256K  [empty]       1 megabyte [standard config]
              4 * 256K  4 * 256K      2 megabytes
              4 * 1meg  [empty]       4 megabytes
              4 * 1meg  4 * 256K      5 megabytes
              4 * 1meg  4 * 1meg      8 megabytes
--------------------------------------The below for System 7.0 only...
              4 * 4meg  [empty]       16 megabytes
              4 * 4meg  4 * 256K      17 megabytes
              4 * 4meg  4 * 1meg      20 megabytes
              4 * 4meg  4 * 4meg      32 megabytes

So, the long and short is that you'll have to buy another pair of SIMMs, so
that you can fill both banks completely.  Move the 256K SIMMs to Bank B, and
install the four 1meg SIMMs into Bank A.  That's all there is to it.

Apple Tech Note #176 describes Mac Memory Configurations in great detail.
If you want a copy, let me know and I can mail you one.

Hope this helps you out.

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."

In article <1668@idunno.Princeton.EDU> fmidgley@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Frank Murray Midgley) writes:

>	This weekend, I attempted to upgrade my Mac SE/30 to 2.5M.
This is not a valid configuration.  Valid configurations are
1MB -- 4 256K SIMMS
2MB -- 8 256K SIMMS
4MB -- 4 1MB SIMMS
5MB -- 4 1MB SIMMS, 4 256K SIMMS
8MB -- 8 1MB SIMMS
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!

mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Mashyna) (08/07/90)

>       This weekend, I attempted to upgrade my Mac SE/30 to 2.5M.

Well, it looks like the problem, if you have an SE/30 and not an SE,
is that you need to upgrade the newer Macs (SE/30s & MacII*) four
SIMMs at a time. The older Pluses ans SEs use 16 bit data path; that's
8 bits X 2 SIMMs. The new 68020 and 68030 machines us 32 bit path; that's
8 bits X 4 SIMMs.

Hope this helps.

|Matt Mashyna        | "That is the most obscene abomination of a song...   |
|mm5l@andrew.cmu.edu | that is dirt, that is filth, that is trash. What     |
|Carnegie Mellon     | possessed you to write such a disgusting, degenerate |
|   Every day is     | type song as this ? ... And I'm complementing you by |
|         Earth Day. | considering it a song." - a critic                   |

jamesth@microsoft.UUCP (James THIELE) (08/07/90)

In article <1668@idunno.Princeton.EDU> fmidgley@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Frank Murray Midgley) writes:

|	This weekend, I attempted to upgrade my Mac SE/30 to 2.5M.  I got

Stop right here.  You can't do this upgrade because 2.5M is not a legal
memory configuration.  In my copy of "Macintosh SE/30 Owner's Guide"
page 83 "SIMM configurations" lists 1, 2, 4, 5, and 8 as valid.

In other words, read the manual.

Hope this helps.

|Thanks,
|Frank