[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac equivalent of "grep" needed ... answer: On-Location!

derek@leah.Albany.Edu (Derek L. / MacLover) (07/25/90)

From cliff@cfa250.harvard.edu (Cliff Stoll) come these immortal words:
>From article <1990Jul19.185505.16535@ecn.purdue.edu>, by jmoore@cidmac.ecn.
 purdue.edu (James D Moore):

>> Is there a Mac Application that works something like "grep" in unix [...]?

>Hey - try On-Location.  It will search your whole hard disk for a particular
>word.  You can then immedaitely open each file or search through it.

	I just read about On-Location and it sounds neat.  I understand
that it creates a semi-permenant index to all the files on your hard-drive.
How big does this index get for, say, an 80 MB HD?  How does the program
update it (i.e. is there an INIT that runs concurrently which updates the
index when new files are created, or checks the disk on bootup)?

>Works fast, too:  On my Mac Plus, I just scanned my disk
>for files containing the word "Cuckoo" ... took just over a minute
>to search 80 Mbytes.   Zippy!

	"Cuckoo" -- cute, real cute.  :-)

>Since it's a desk accessory, it's always available.  Good stuff.

	I'm really hoping that with the reworking of DAs in (the elusive)
System 7, there will be more DA utilities rather than cDev/INIT combinations.
It takes my system a while to boot up even on the IIci at work, and on the
Plus, at home, it takes almost two minutes.  Arrrgh!  (I know, I know...
but I _need_ all those INITs!)  :-)

>-Cliff Stoll   cliff@cfa.harvard.edu

						Derek L.
--
+ +   One Mac is worth exactly 2.317 PCs (based on current price indices)   + +
	Disclaimer:  I was asleep.	---}=-------------------------`

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (07/26/90)

derek@leah.Albany.Edu (Derek L. / MacLover) writes:

>From cliff@cfa250.harvard.edu (Cliff Stoll) come these immortal words:
>>From article <1990Jul19.185505.16535@ecn.purdue.edu>, by jmoore@cidmac.ecn.
> purdue.edu (James D Moore):

>>> Is there a Mac Application that works something like "grep" in unix [...]?

>>Hey - try On-Location.  It will search your whole hard disk for a particular
>>word.  You can then immedaitely open each file or search through it.

Not to crow about products that aren't yet available, but Norton
Utilities for the Mac has a DA called Fast Find that lets you do this
for filenames.  Directory Assistance (also included) does this from
within any file requester, too.  And it's scarily fast--220 Mbytes in
1.5 minutes on my Mac Plus (anyone who wonders why you'd need >300 megs
on a Mac should go into the data-recovery business!!  Or run UNIX, or
keep Netnews online... :-).  Oh, and you can then launch the app'n (if
that's what it is, or the app'n which launches the document), or "look"
at the file (an "ASCII Barf" view :-) contents.

Hmm, somewhere around here I have a GREP DA, too, but it's old.

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

cckweiss@castor (07/26/90)

1. Ask and ye shall receive... Yesterday I posted asking whether anyone
else has experienced loooong delays getting Mac Tools Deluxe upgrades
from Central Point Software. Got home, and the box was sitting on my
doorstep. Talk about fast response!

2. The Locate DA supplied with Mac Tools Deluxe appears to offer the
same kind of search capabilities as a 'grep'. It will search a volume
(or maybe folder?) for a string, looking both at file name and contents.
Looks like it's got some boolean capabilities, and it will display file
contents in a text window, and allow launching right from the search
window. As you can guess, I haven't tried it out yet, just got the above
from skimming the manual last night.

Ken Weiss
cckweiss@castor.ucdavis.edu

cliff@cfa250.harvard.edu (Cliff Stoll) (07/29/90)

From article <3397@leah.Albany.Edu>, by derek@leah.Albany.Edu (Derek L. / MacLover):
> From cliff@cfa250.harvard.edu (Cliff Stoll) come these immortal words:
>>From article <1990Jul19.185505.16535@ecn.purdue.edu>, by jmoore@cidmac.ecn.
>  purdue.edu (James D Moore):
>
>>> Is there a Mac Application that works something like "grep" in unix [...]?
>
>>Hey - try On-Location.  It will search your whole hard disk for a particular
>>word.  You can then immedaitely open each file or search through it.
>
> 	I just read about On-Location and it sounds neat.  I understand
> that it creates a semi-permenant index to all the files on your hard-drive.
> How big does this index get for, say, an 80 MB HD?  How does the program
> update it (i.e. is there an INIT that runs concurrently which updates the
> index when new files are created, or checks the disk on bootup)?

Hi Derek,

  Yes, there's an init ... and it's big.  about 120K of code, I think.
And it's delicate -- has to be loaded after Suitcase II or else I get
a boot-hang.

  The On=Location Init updates its indexes when the mac isn't doing
anything else.  So if you let your mac sit around for an hour, it'll
start scanning the disk after 10 or 20 minutes of inactivity.

  On my nearly full 80 MB disk, On-Location uses about 1.5 Mbytes for
its indexes.  So about 2 percent of your disk is wasted.  Oh well.

mcolthea@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Max Coltheart) (08/04/90)

Depends what you want to grep - perhaps it is worth pointing out that
my favourite word-processor, Nisus, comes with grep built in (also a
simplified version, easy-grep).

MC

jon@weber.ucsd.edu (Jon Matousek) (08/08/90)

In article <364@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> mcolthea@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Max Coltheart) writes:
>Depends what you want to grep - perhaps it is worth pointing out that
>my favourite word-processor, Nisus, comes with grep built in (also a
>simplified version, easy-grep).
>
>MC

And, your favorite word processor's GREP facility just got better!
Nisus 3.0 is out, just in time for MacWorld Boston. GREP combined
with Nisus 3.0's noncontiguous selection make a powerful searching
tool even more powerful. Nisus now has a "Find All" command that will
noncontiguously select all of the matching patterns. You can then apply
a second GREP pattern to the noncontiguous selections with the
"Find In Selection" command.

As always, Nisus' GREP allows you to search and replace with any
combination of character attributes; i.e. font/size/style/user style/color.

Nisus' GREP is fast, and searches through open and unopened files.

Nisus 3.0 demo disk should be out in 1 week. I think they are still
free, so get one and run Nisus 3.0 through its paces. If you have questions
call Paragon's free tech. support or send me e-mail.

-jOn

%%
SoftwareEngineer: jOn mAtOUsEk;             internet:  jon@weber.ucsd.edu
%%                                          appleLink: D0405
Paragon Concepts, Inc.
990 Highland Drive, #312
Solana Beach, Ca. 92075
(619)481-1477