[comp.sys.mac.misc] Giffer

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (08/07/90)

I recently obtained Giffer 1.0 and some picture files to look at with it.
However, when I launch it from my IIci, it goes through the motions of
starting, but it ends up back in the finder.  What's the deal?  I'm using
the built-in video of the IIci and I'm running it in 8-bit-color mode.

--
thomas willett
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

mlg@cbnews.att.com (Mike Goodrich) (08/07/90)

In article <12276@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:
>I recently obtained Giffer 1.0 and some picture files to look at with it.
>However, when I launch it from my IIci, it goes through the motions of
>starting, but it ends up back in the finder.  What's the deal?  I'm using
>the built-in video of the IIci and I'm running it in 8-bit-color mode.

I had the same problem with a Mac Plus with 2.5 Meg. You double click on Giffer
to launch the Application and it seems to load for a while then you wind up
back at the finder like nothing every happened.  I've been trying (on and off)
to look at the code resources with resedit to see what is going on but no luck
so far.

			Thanks
			Mike Goodrich
			mlg@cblph.att.com

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/07/90)

Thomas Willett <gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU> writes:

	I recently obtained Giffer 1.0 and some picture files to look
	at with it.  However, when I launch it from my IIci, it goes
	through the motions of starting, but it ends up back in the
	finder.

It is having a problem with 32-bit Quickdraw, which is on-board in your
IIci ROM.  I don't know if there's a more recent version.  I have to use
32-bit QD for ATM on my Radius Pivot, but I have the 32bQD INIT since I
have a MacII.

/jordan

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (08/08/90)

--

Giffer version 1.0 is pretty old.  1.08 fixed the problem with the IIci.

Is there a decoder for the GIFFER89a specification come out yet?  (Besides
FractInt V. 14 for the PC -- need one for the Mac.)  Better yet, is the Mac
version of FractInt V 14 come out?

__Mouse.o()~
------------ Project Blue Bonnet & Texas Center for Educational Technology ---
Dhanapong "Mouse" Saengrussamee    | AppleLink : U1364 | BITNET : mouse@untvax
Technical Support, CECS Dept.,     | BIX : d.mouse.s | CompuServe : 71301,1516
University of North Texas,         | GENie : d.saengrussa | IP : 129.120.1.4
PO Box 5155, Denton, TX 76203-5155 | Internet : mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
voice (817) 565-4435               | SPAN : utspan::utandx::untvax::mouse
fax   (817) 565-4425               | THENet : untvax::mouse
------------------- UUCP : {...!uunet!convex!iex}!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse

phil@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (08/08/90)

In article <12276@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:
> I recently obtained Giffer 1.0 and some picture files to look at with it.
> However, when I launch it from my IIci, it goes through the motions of
> starting, but it ends up back in the finder.  What's the deal?  I'm using
> the built-in video of the IIci and I'm running it in 8-bit-color mode.

Last version of Giffer I saw was 1.06.  It may be that 1.0 does something
freaky when presented with 32-bit quickdraw (which is in the IIci ROM). ?
I'm not sure whether 1.06 is at sumex yet, I think I got my copy somewhere
else.

Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.AND  **new address**  *
Liverpool University,     * ARPA  : PHIL%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
Liverpool  L69  3BX   "The Wild West, were men were men, women were women, and
(UK) 051-794-3689      Roy Rodgers was *years* ahead of his time..."