[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help! System Error ID=02

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/09/90)

In article <710@cvbnetPrime.COM> dhukill@esprit.prime.com (Dave Hukill) writes:

> I completed installing MacPrint on my SE (1mb, 20mb), and I tried to print
>something, and I got the bomb dialog box indicating that: "A system error has
>occured id = 02", and the restart button. I tried calling MacPrint on the
>matter, and they told me to call Apple. Is there anyone out there that can
>help? Who should I call at Apple? What does this error mean? Any help would
>be greatly appreciated.

Who was it that you talked to at MacPrint?  If it was their
customer/technical suport, then their response was completely
inappropriate.  If it was just a random number within the company,
their response is a little more understandable--although they
certainly should have been more helpful than they were.  [If they
don't have a customer/tech support line, they should.]  And if they're
going to tell you to call Apple, they should at least tell you _why_;
furthermore, they should not have told you to call Apple, but your
Apple dealer (there's no direct Apple line to call for customer
support--it's all done through the dealer).

The error means that the software that caused it is trying to access a
memory object--some piece of data--at an odd address, which the
Macintosh's processor (68000) doesn't like.  This means that something
is going wrong at a pretty low level.  I don't know anything about
MacPrint, so I can't be real helpful, but here are some generic things
to check which might help to track the problem down:

  * What INITs and cDEVs ("Startup documents" and "Control Panel"
documents) do you have in your System Folder?  These can sometimes
cause software to crash, especially if they (or the crashing software)
are poorly written.  Try removing them, and if MacPrint works, add
them back in one by one to pinpoint the offending one.

  * What version of the System/Finder and perhaps printer files do you
have?  Do they correspond to what MacPrint expects?  (Most software
packages, if they require a minimum version of the System software,
will state so either on the packaging or in the documentation.)  Did
you check with the folks at MacPrint about this?

  * Did you scan your disk for viruses?  Scan both your hard disk and
the MacPrint disk; a virus could conceivably have been brought in on
their disk (I did not say it did; no flames please).  You should also
check your own floppy disks.

  * Have you noticed any strange behavior with any other software?  If
so, that's additional reason to suspect a virus, or a conflict with a
cDEV/INIT, or (much less likely) a hardware problem.

My suggestion is to check the things I mentioned, write down anything
you find out that might seem relevant (including the version numbers
of any relevant software, like System/Finder, any offending INITs or
cDEVs), call MacPrint back, and explain your situation to them, and
ask them what to do (and why).

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }