[comp.sys.mac.misc] Japanese System

hh0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hiroshi Rit Howell) (07/26/90)

The latest release of KanjiTalk from apple is 6.04 (finally done a month ago
for the ci users!).  It comes with four fonts (hoshomincho, gosshikku, Osaka,
and Kyoto) and they all have 9, 12, 18, and 24 pts except Osaka which only
has 9, and 12 (18 and 24 are only enlarged 9 and 12).

FTP is a usual HENKAN 2.0 but you can get VJE 2.0 other FTP from 3rd parties.

If you need a greater compatibility than this official KanjiTalk (perhaps),
you can try JAM which is an INIT for any 6.0x english models.  However, this
is extremely slow and has its own problems.

For WP applications, EG-Word is available,and more but some of them are
copy protected.  PageMaer 3.0 J claims compatible with KanjiTalk but I'm not
sure about that.

hiroshi howell (hh0x@andrew.cmu.edu)

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) (07/30/90)

According to an article in the July 23rd issue of Macintosh News, Page 2,
Apple Computer, Inc has launched a program to sell and service the Japanese
Version of the Macintosh in the United States to "..help companies that need
the abilities of KanjiTalk"....

Looks like you software needs will be available in the near future, but for
the present time, ADPA is about your only hope that I know of...

UUCP: .. !crash!pro-freedom!pip
ARPA: crash!pro-freedom!pip@nosc.mil
INET: pip@pro-freedom.cts.com

hh0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hiroshi Rit Howell) (08/01/90)

I meant FEP when I said FTP.........a while before I typed this in, I had
some FTP problems, that's why....sorry

hiroshi howell (hh0x@andrw.cmu.edu)

hironobu@sra.co.jp (Hironobu Suzuki) (08/08/90)

I'm a Macintosh with KanjiTalk user in Japan.

In article <MOMMA.90Jul27154509@is.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> momma@is.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Stefan Momma) writes:
 %>Will it be made available at some point for anonymous ftp on apple.com
 %>like the native English versions are ?

NO.

KanjiTalk is copyrighted by Apple Japan.  Apple Japan is not Apple
Cupertino.

Let's suppose you are in Japan. if you don't have any version of
KanjiTalk already, you must pay 70000-yen ( about $466 ) to Apple
Japan for getting KanjiTalk 6.0.4.  If you have old KanjiTalk, you
must pay 7000-yen ( about $46 ) for update fee.

Vicious Apple Japan hinder for anonymous ftp like the English
versions.

Japanese user feel angry about what Apple Japan do.

But I don't how to get KanjiTalk through APDA and how much to get it
in Ammerica.

P.S.
I paid 7000-yen for getting KanjiTalk 6.0.4.  ;-)

			   Hironobu Suzuki
	      Software Research Associates, Inc, Japan.
			  Hirakawa-cho 1-1-1
			      Chiyoda-ku
			     Tokyo Japan
  E-Mail: hironobu@sra.co.jp                Voice: 03-942-4444

masui@iias.fujitsu.co.jp (Motoo Masui) (08/10/90)

> Let's suppose you are in Japan. if you don't have any version of
> KanjiTalk already, you must pay 70000-yen ( about $466 ) to Apple
> Japan for getting KanjiTalk 6.0.4.  If you have old KanjiTalk, you
> must pay 7000-yen ( about $46 ) for update fee.
> Vicious Apple Japan hinder for anonymous ftp like the English
> versions.
> Japanese user feel angry about what Apple Japan do.

I think so !  (I don't believe in A.J. :-)

> But I don't how to get KanjiTalk through APDA and how much to get it
> in Ammerica.

I have just got new APDAlog (Summer 1990). The price is $70.00
for Kanjitalk 6.0.4 (with 5 font disks and 20pp document)

By the way, do you know Kanjitalk is included in the develop CD-ROM ?
In the issue 3 of "Developer Essentials CD-ROM", I found:
	System Software J-6.0.4 (Kanjitalk)  	(9 Disks)
	HyperCard J-1.2.5			(4 Disks)
	KanjiTalk Toolkit (KTEnhancer, fbitEdit, etc)
	KanjiTalk 6.0 Docs (Release Notes for various versions)

# I don't know what A.J aims to do...
--
	Motoo MASUI
	IIAS-SIS (International Institute for