[comp.sys.mac.misc] .pit .shar Which programme created these?

pmiach@uluru7.ecr.mu.oz (Paul Anthony MIACH) (08/08/90)

Hi!
	I would just like to know which programmes produce files with the
endings .pit and .shar. I have a feeling that .pit is PackIt but I have no
idea about the .shar files. Also, you you give me a anon ftp site where I
could get these programmes. Thanks in advance.

Paul Miach.
	pmiach@ecr.mu.oz.au
	{UUCP,uunet}!munnari!gondwana!pmiach

pkent@gara.une.oz.au (Phill Kent) (08/12/90)

In article <5024@munnari.oz.au>, pmiach@uluru7.ecr.mu.oz (Paul Anthony MIACH) writes:
> Hi!
> 	I would just like to know which programmes produce files with the
> endings .pit and .shar. I have a feeling that .pit is PackIt but I have no
> idea about the .shar files. Also, you you give me a anon ftp site where I
> could get these programmes. Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul Miach.

The .shar is short for shell archive, you are correct about the .pit.
To unarchive the .shar file on a Unix machine type at system level prompt
 sh name.shar  (where name.shar is the name of the file to be unarKed)
There is probably a macintosh utility available somewhere, though as I have
not needed one I haven't looked around. I'd just unarchive it on the mainframe
though.
There is a shareware utility called Packitt available that packs and unpacks
files, I am pretty sure that there is a freeware Unpackitt, although I think
DDExpand Might (don't quote me on it) also unpack files (It is freeware).

I hope this is some help to you!
These utilities are available from just about any macintosh anonymous ftp site.
eg wsmr-simtel20.army.mil  (This site is very busy though). You will need
Unstuffit to unstuff the files from here.

If you have any hassles getting these utilities, I can always send you them
through the mail.

Best of Luck!!
---
Phill Kent.
pkent@gara.une.oz.au
or pkent@neumann.une.oz.au
email me if you have any problems.
.

peter@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Peter Bestel) (08/13/90)

pmiach@uluru7.ecr.mu.oz (Paul Anthony MIACH) writes:

>Hi!
>endings .pit and .shar. I have a feeling that .pit is PackIt but I have no
>idea about the .shar files. Also, you you give me a anon ftp site where I
>could get these programmes. Thanks in advance.

	The .pit postfix is indeed created by the Packit archiver. You don't
actually require the Packit program to un-pack these files though. Stuffit
has an option to un-pack, although it is a little slow.

	Files ending in .shar are normally text files in UNIX shell-archive
format (hence shar). There are several unshar programs available for the Mac.
Two that come to mind I think are available from any info-mac archive site
under their unix utilities section. They run under M.P.W. as well as a
stand-alone THINK C version.

					Peter Bestel
					University of Technology, Sydney.

cory@three.mv.com (Cory Kempf) (08/15/90)

pmiach@uluru7.ecr.mu.oz (Paul Anthony MIACH) writes:

>Hi!
>	I would just like to know which programmes produce files with the
>endings .pit and .shar.

.pit is packit.  Stuffit can unpack .pit files, as can Pack-it.  .shar
sounds like it is the unix shar format: shell archive.  A very simple
format that can be "unshared" by /bin/sh on any unix box (at least any
that I have come accross).  There are also several programmes that will
do the same and provide more security (since shar files are unshared by
executing them with the shell, and contain shell commands, they can
contain ANY command (e.g. 'rm -f / &')).

+C
--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
The EnigamI Co.							603 883 2474