[comp.sys.mac.misc] Word to TIFF, PICT, or Paint

TMARX@auvm.auvm.edu (08/14/90)

I want to send a Word 4.0 document that includes a table over my modem to a fax
 machine. The modem has the software to do it, but the file needs to be in eith
er text, Macpaint, TIFF or PICT. Changing to text destroys the formating and I
don't know how to perform any of the other formatting tasks. I've tried to brin
g up the document in Superpaint, Adobe Illustrator, and Pagemaker, but none of
these programs will let me bring up the whole document. It seems that this shou
ld be a task within the realm of the Mac world, but I'm baffled. Any suggestion
s? I have a Mac SE with 2.5mb. Please send suggestions to my address.
          Many thanks in advance            Tom Marx

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (08/14/90)

In article <90225.165433TMARX@auvm.auvm.edu> TMARX@auvm.auvm.edu writes:
>I want to send a Word 4.0 document that includes a table over my modem to a fax
> machine. The modem has the software to do it, but the file needs to be in eith
>er text, Macpaint, TIFF or PICT. Changing to text destroys the formating and I

select the whold document and command-option-D will save a PICT copy to
the clipboard. Then paste into MacDraw etc.  You might want to do this one
page at a time (depending on memory).

For heavy duty use SuperGlue will allow you to 'print to disk' - creating
a PICT document for each page - automatically.

With both methods you will loose some formating that is not supported by
the PICT format, such as 'both sides' justified text  :-(

guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (08/15/90)

In article <28485@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu writes:
>select the whold document and command-option-D will save a PICT copy to
>the clipboard. Then paste into MacDraw etc.  You might want to do this one
>page at a time (depending on memory).
>
>With both methods you will loose some formating that is not supported by
>the PICT format, such as 'both sides' justified text  :-(
The last statement is incorrect (i.e. no reason to :-( ). The pictures
created by MS Word still contain both sides justified text (i just
tried it out...)
Andreas Guelzow <guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (08/15/90)

>>With both methods you will loose some formating that is not supported by
>>the PICT format, such as 'both sides' justified text  :-(
>The last statement is incorrect (i.e. no reason to :-( ). The pictures
>created by MS Word still contain both sides justified text (i just
>tried it out...)

I think it depends on what application you paste it into.