[comp.sys.mac.misc] Best hard disk backup program

jongminp@cae.wisc.edu (Jong-Min Park) (08/10/90)

  I need info on hard disk backup programs that fit the following:

1. Backup to multiple floppy disks
2. Backup single file/folder, group of files/folders, etc.
3. Both incremental and not
4. Both internal format and Finder-readable format (I want to backup
   system folder in a disk that can be used as a boot disk!)
5. Backup/Restore to different hard disks (I need to transfer my work
   from/to home/office)

   I've been using Redux 1.01 that came with Jasmine HD which fits all above
except #5. I've heard from a friend that SUM II does #5 but wastes some
space in backup disks (I guess to preserve space for incremental addition)
and can't do #3,4. I've ordered Mac Tools Deluxe which is due next week,
so don't have a clue about it.

  How about other programs (DiskFit, Retrospect, ..)? Does Redux 1.62
perform #5? BTW, I don't need auto backup; I'm not that lazy.

  Please e-mail to jongminp@cae.wisc.edu. Thank you.

jongminp@cae.wisc.edu (Jong-Min Park) (08/12/90)

Last time I posted the following:
>   I need info on hard disk backup programs that fit the following:
>
> 1. Backup to multiple floppy disks
> 2. Backup single file/folder, group of files/folders, etc.
> 3. Both incremental and not
> 4. Both internal format and Finder-readable format (I want to backup
>    system folder in a disk that can be used as a boot disk!)
> 5. Backup/Restore to different hard disks (I need to transfer my work
>    from/to home/office)
> [...]

I received several letters, which were quite helpful for me.
Many referred to Retrospect, and some to Redux 1.62 and DiskFit.

Anyway, my own final decision is to get Redux 1.62 which I'm
familiar with, and one person told me it can do #5.

Thank you all who sent the letters. I am not posting the letters
since I forgot to ask for authors' permission. Sorry about that.

Jong-Min

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (08/12/90)

In article <11026@spool.cs.wisc.edu> jongminp@cae.wisc.edu (Jong-Min Park)
writes:
> I received several letters, which were quite helpful for me.
> Many referred to Retrospect, and some to Redux 1.62 and DiskFit.
>
> Anyway, my own final decision is to get Redux 1.62 which I'm
> familiar with, and one person told me it can do #5.

Although I am not sure, I figured that Retrospect can backup/restore to
different hard disks/devices.

Anyway, I just thought that you should know that the Dantz, the creator of
Retrospect, created Disk Fit!

Neat, huh?

------
Michael L Barrow
mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu
MIT Information Services Consultant
Project Athena Volunteer User Consultant
Member, Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (08/16/90)

In article <11010@spool.cs.wisc.edu> jongminp@cae.wisc.edu (Jong-Min Park) writes:

>  I need info on hard disk backup programs that fit the following:
>
>1. Backup to multiple floppy disks
>2. Backup single file/folder, group of files/folders, etc.
>3. Both incremental and not
>4. Both internal format and Finder-readable format (I want to backup
>   system folder in a disk that can be used as a boot disk!)
>5. Backup/Restore to different hard disks (I need to transfer my work
>   from/to home/office)

For the techies out there, you might want to get MPW.  In addition to
being Apple's development environment, a decent editor, etc., it comes
with lots of different Unix inspired tools.  "Backup" is one of the
tools and I think it does all you require.  Because it is used under
MPW it is fully scriptable.

Though it is not particularly fast about the copying of files (MPW
does the actual copying and it is not as fast as Finder), it will run
in background under MultiFinder.

Note that this suggestion is not for "The Rest of Us", it is for
techies who probably want MPW for reasons other than just backup.

MPW is available from APDA for $100 as of last summer, might be $200
these days--can't find a current catalogue.  They do require a
membership fee and a signature before you can buy any of the Apple
stuff.

They can be reached at APDA@applelink.apple.com, 408-562-3910, or
800-282-2732

Kent Borg      internet: kent@camex.com    MacNet: kentborg      AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577
"Congress was about to scuttle our defense department ... Could our military
industrial complex be backing Iraq?"  - my mother, 8-4-90