[comp.sys.mac.misc] A question and a file request: Mac IIx and 6.0.5

derek@leah.Albany.Edu (Cinderella Man) (08/15/90)

Two quick things--

	My father has a IIx which is currently running System Software
version 6.0.3.  He was told that he should not run v6.0.5 on that machine,
by a dealer friend.  Is this good information?  I'm running v6.0.5 on my
IIci at work, and it's the most stable version I've used since System 3.2/
Finder 5.3.  Is there any reason why he should not install it on the IIx?

	Secondly, he is also having memory problems, and would like to try
out the most recent version of Multifinder (is it version 6.1b9?), just to
see if it does any good.  I'm personally convinced that it's a hardware
problem, from consulting over the phone, but without being in the same city
there's not much I can do.  :-)  So could some kind soul please e-mail me a
binhexed copy of the file?  I like to keep my dad happy...

			thanks, all,

						Derek L.
--
+ +   One Mac is worth exactly 2.317 PCs (based on current price indices)   + +
	Disclaimer:  I was asleep.	---}=-----F-e-n-c-e-r----------`

daven@svc.portal.com (08/16/90)

In article <3532@leah.Albany.Edu> derek@leah.albany.edu.UUCP (Cinderella Man) writes:
>	My father has a IIx which is currently running System Software
>version 6.0.3.  He was told that he should not run v6.0.5 on that machine,
>by a dealer friend.
>
>	Secondly, he is also having memory problems, and would like to try
>out the most recent version of Multifinder (is it version 6.1b9?), just to
>see if it does any good.

System 6.0.3, I believe, is the recommended system to a IIx. System 6.0.4 was
released to for the Portable, or IIci. System 6.0.5 was released for the IIfx.

Your father can use either of thos systems, and probably not see any differ-
ences. As far as MultiFinder goes, he can try 6.1b9, but it comes with the
standard caveats for beta sytem software.

Dave Newman - Sofware Ventures        | daven@svc.portal.com | AppleLink: D0025
Berkeley, CA  (415) 644-3232          | AOL: MicroPhone      | CIS: 76004,2161

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (08/18/90)

Somebody said:

>System 6.0.3, I believe, is the recommended system to a IIx. System 6.0.4 was
>released to for the Portable, or IIci. System 6.0.5 was released for the IIfx.

implying you shouldn't upgrade a IIx from 6.0.3 to 6.0.5. Well I'm typing this
on a IIx using 6.0.5, and it works fine.

There are general purpose (any machine) bug fixes in later version of the
software that are good for *any* machine (even the Plus :-). You are always
better off running the latest version of the software, except when it breaks
one of your applications (get the next upgrade) or breaks on you machine (wait
til they fix the bug in the next OS release).

For details of what has been fixed in 6.0.5 see the "Macintosh System Software
6.0.5 Final Change History" available from /pub/dts/something at apple.com.

For example, 32-bit QD is at version 1.2, TextEdit 3.0, scroll speed fiex on
newer Macs plus 7 pages of bug fixes (and thats just 6.0.4 --> 5!).

If you want to use Hypercard 2.0, if it ever gets released you will need
system 6.0.5 or later.

Kevin Purcell             | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science Centre    |
Liverpool University      | Omit needless words.