[comp.sys.mac.misc] Can I used a Modem just to Dial phone#'s ?

gzgj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (08/16/90)

Is it possible to use the Modem just to dial phone numbers so that
it will let you pick-up the phone to talk ?
I know that this sound a little weird, but I have a Touch Tone
telephone which can not be used in Pulse Mode, an Emerson 2400EX
Modem (Hayes compatible), and a Pulse Telephone Line, (Am I cheap?)
I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks you,

					Guillermo

e-mail:  GZGJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

In article <5081.26ca9204@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> gzgj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Is it possible to use the Modem just to dial phone numbers so that
>it will let you pick-up the phone to talk ?
>I know that this sound a little weird, but I have a Touch Tone
>telephone which can not be used in Pulse Mode, an Emerson 2400EX
>Modem (Hayes compatible), and a Pulse Telephone Line, (Am I cheap?)
>I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks you,
>
>					Guillermo

Sure, just dial the number with the modem, pick up the phone, and hit a key to
cancel the modems dialing.   Or, you could try to do pulses with the
switchhook :-)
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) (08/17/90)

In article <5081.26ca9204@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> gzgj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Is it possible to use the Modem just to dial phone numbers so that
>it will let you pick-up the phone to talk ?

Sure... the way to do it would be to get either a terminal program, or
a DA like Qdial, and instruct the modem to call the number yuou
want. (In a terminal program the procedure would be ATDP(for pulse) then the
number) After the modem has finished dialing, pick up the phone, then
cancel the modem's dial. That oughta do it.

--
   /\         Jay Giurleo           Worcester Polytechnic Institute
  /\/\      jayg@wpi.wpi.edu                  Box 2080

gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (08/18/90)

In article <14543@wpi.wpi.edu> jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) writes:
>In article <5081.26ca9204@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> gzgj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>>Is it possible to use the Modem just to dial phone numbers so that
>>it will let you pick-up the phone to talk ?
>
>Sure... the way to do it would be to get either a terminal program, or
>a DA like Qdial, and instruct the modem to call the number yuou

Doesn't anyone look at hypercard?  You can dial any touchtone with a Mac
and hypercard's Phone stack -- just stick your phone receiver near the
Mac's speaker.  No modem needed.  The phone and address stacks will even
remember all the phone numbers that you want.

-- Don
Don.Gilbert@Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu
biocomputing office, indiana univ., bloomington, in 47405, usa

roskar@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Veljko Roskar) (08/19/90)

In article <5081.26ca9204@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> gzgj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Is it possible to use the Modem just to dial phone numbers so that
>it will let you pick-up the phone to talk ?

Address Book will do that for you. Available at sumex.
--
Best regards,
Veljko Roskar                            | roskar@jhuvms.bitnet

akcs.stealth@vpnet.chi.il.us (Jay Kreibich) (08/19/90)

Yes, you can do that, but you have to leave the phone on the hook till the
modem is done dialing when in pulse mode.  If you use the modem to speed
dial tones, you can pick up the phone right away.

                                             -Stealth@vpnet.chi.il.us