[comp.sys.mac.misc] After Dark Upgrade...

craparotta@craparotta.enet.dec.com (Joe Craparotta) (08/13/90)

From seeing After Dark 2.0, all I can say is that I'm impressed with the work
that was put into it...  What really bothers me is that being a REAL registered
user, that I wasn't aware of this or still haven't gotten an upgrade letter in
the mail... Come on!! Support the people that bought!!

Joe Craparotta	Craparotta@level.dec.com
		--or-- ...!decwrl!level.dec.com!craparotta
		--or-- craparotta%level.dec@decwrl.dec.com

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (08/14/90)

--

  I called them last week and the girl who answer the phone said that the
registered user will get the upgrade letter sometime in the mid August.  And

__Mouse.o()~
--------------- Project Bluebonnet & Texas Center for Educational Technology -
Dhanapong "Mouse" Saengrussamee    | AppleLink : U1364 | BITNET : mouse@untvax
Technical Support, CECS Dept.,     | BIX : d.mouse.s | CompuServe : 71301,1516
University of North Texas,         | GENie : d.saengrussa | IP : 129.120.1.4
PO Box 5155, Denton, TX 76203-5155 | Internet : mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
voice (817) 565-4435               | SPAN : utspan::utandx::untvax::mouse
fax   (817) 565-4425               | THENet : untvax::mouse
------------------- UUCP : {...!uunet!convex!iex}!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (08/15/90)

I just installed my upgrade (or actually I bought a new version at the
show since it was only $4 more and I plan on giving the old one to my
sister (Bruce - is there any way to transfer registrations?)) of After
Dark 2.0 and found that the sound features did not work under
MultiFinder. I first thought it was SoundMaster's fault, but
SoundMaster and After Dark co-exist fine in the Finder. MultiFinder
with no inits still removes the sounds unfortunately. I'm using
version 6.1b7 of MultiFinder because of the Set Aside feature and
can't go back. (For those using that version of MultiFinder, try
dropping the Apple menu, then holding down the option key. The Set
Aside entry will change to Set Aside Others, allowing you to put all
the other open applications in the background - extremely useful)

Any suggestions or should I wait for After Dark 2.01?

Thanks ..... Adam

In article <1835@mountn.dec.com>, craparotta@craparotta.enet.dec.com (Joe Craparotta) writes:
> From seeing After Dark 2.0, all I can say is that I'm impressed with the work
> that was put into it...  What really bothers me is that being a REAL registered
> user, that I wasn't aware of this or still haven't gotten an upgrade letter in
> the mail... Come on!! Support the people that bought!!
>
> Joe Craparotta	Craparotta@level.dec.com
> 		--or-- ...!decwrl!level.dec.com!craparotta
> 		--or-- craparotta%level.dec@decwrl.dec.com
--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/15/90)

In article <5066.26c914b7@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I just installed my upgrade
>of After
>Dark 2.0 and found that the sound features did not work under
>MultiFinder.

I'm on a Mac IIci running System 6.0.5, Finder 6.1.5, MultiFinder 6.0.5 and
After Dark 2.0.  The sound works fine here.  It also works fine on an SE/30
running the same System software. Both machines run a slew of other INITs, so
I would suspect the problem is MultiFinder 6.1b7's fault.

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (08/16/90)

In article <5066.26c914b7@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Dark 2.0 and found that the sound features did not work under
>MultiFinder. I first thought it was SoundMaster's fault, but
>SoundMaster and After Dark co-exist fine in the Finder. MultiFinder
>with no inits still removes the sounds unfortunately. I'm using
>version 6.1b7 of MultiFinder because of the Set Aside feature and
>can't go back. (For those using that version of MultiFinder, try
>dropping the Apple menu, then holding down the option key. The Set
>Aside entry will change to Set Aside Others, allowing you to put all
>the other open applications in the background - extremely useful)
>Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

	I also have the upgrade to 2.0 of After Dark and am running it
	on my IIcx without any problems at all. Sounds work fine, color
	is impressive, and the Fish Module even fakes out the cats I
	Have. I do not see why the beta MF would cause you a problem,
	but if it were, the latest version of it is b9, b7 is an older
	version of MF with the set aside feature that Apple should have
	installed in either 6.0.3-4 or 5... But nonetheless something
	else is causing you a problem, AD's sounds work fine under
	MultiFinder 6.1b9 for me.. and don't see why b7 would be any
	different, though I guess anything is possible?..
--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (08/16/90)

In article <2759@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>In article <5066.26c914b7@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>>Dark 2.0 and found that the sound features did not work under
>>MultiFinder. I first thought it was SoundMaster's fault, but
>>SoundMaster and After Dark co-exist fine in the Finder. MultiFinder

>	I also have the upgrade to 2.0 of After Dark and am running it
>	on my IIcx without any problems at all. Sounds work fine, color
>	is impressive, and the Fish Module even fakes out the cats I

After Dark 2.0 runs perfectly for me as well using 6.0.5, MF 6.1b9,
and tons off INITS (a good indication of a well-written cdev if it
runs on my system....).

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (08/17/90)

--
Me, too!  I called them about the third weeks of July, the girl who answer
the phone said the the upgrade letter will be mail to registered user in

I also post a question a couple of days ago inquire why I, as a registered
user of After Dark, have to pay the same price, to upgrade my old 1.x, as
those users of competitor-to-After-Dark whom want to switch.  No answer
to that, yet.

Probably, by now, my name must have been already bumped down the list of
receiving the "upgrade notice" by several notches.  Ha!

CE Software, how much do you charge for switching?

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (08/17/90)

From article <2759@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM>, by ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger):
> In article <5066.26c914b7@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>>Dark 2.0 and found that the sound features did not work under
>>MultiFinder. I first thought it was SoundMaster's fault, but

>> lines deleted...

> 	I also have the upgrade to 2.0 of After Dark and am running it
> 	on my IIcx without any problems at all. Sounds work fine, color

> lines deleted...

I am a registered owner of After Dark 1.x and have STILL NOT RECEIVED the
long awaited upgrade letter.  Hows come everyone else has the upgrade?
I didn't think that Berkeley Systems played favorites, but maybe that
impression is incorrect.  Seems to me that if the product was shipping I
should have been informed of an upgrade opportunity well before now.

Bruce Burkholter (sp?) if you are listening, what the h*ll is up??
Do you really care less about the people that supported you and didn't
rip you off before than you do about new users??

I regret to say that I'm dissapointed.

	- Ed Rotberg -

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (08/18/90)

	I don't believe this, a bunch of grown people whining over
	the late arrival of a screen blanker update??? I am sure
	that Berkeley Systems is working on mailing upgrade notices,
	but they sure the heck aren't Microsoft in size to have a ton
	of support peeple to make sure you are all upgraded instantly.
	Give em a break, you'll get your notice soon enough I'm sure.

--

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (08/21/90)

From article <2762@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM>, by ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger):

> 	I don't believe this, a bunch of grown people whining over
> 	the late arrival of a screen blanker update??? ...
>
> Norm Goodger

How about giving us a break Norm.  I know you are one of the "elite", and I'm
sure it's great to go around flaunting that fact that you have the upgrade,
but your admonishment would be better received from someone who hadn't already
gotten the update.

It just so happens that I have had some problems with AD interfering with some
applications that I run, and the new IQ task management looks like it will
clear up some of these problems.  I think your "holier-than-thou" attitude
reeks, Norm, even though I've always thought your postings were of value in
the past.  I'm willing to give Berkeley Sys. a break, but they simply have not
handled this upgrade well.

who ask for it.

	- Ed Rotberg -