[comp.sys.mac.misc] 2400 baud modems

stucki@neuron.cis.ohio-state.edu (David J Stucki) (08/17/90)

Does anyone have good or bad or otherwise recommendations for Zoom
Technologies' 2400 baud modem (with sendfax)?

thanks in advance...

dave...
--
David J Stucki	   /\ ~~ /\  ~~	 /\  ~~	 /\  ~~	c/o Dept. Computer and
537 Harley Dr. #6 /  \  /  \ 	/  \ 	/  \   	/   Information Science

bond@aerospace.aero.org (Walt Bond) (08/19/90)

In article <STUCKI.90Aug16133549@neuron.cis.ohio-state.edu> stucki@neuron.cis.ohio-state.edu (David J Stucki) writes:
>Does anyone have good or bad or otherwise recommendations for Zoom
>Technologies' 2400 baud modem (with sendfax)?
>
>thanks in advance...
>
>dave...

Recently had my "Maxon 2400" go belly up, and they want $55 to fix it.
Damn thing only had a 90-day warranty, and now I know why. Anyone want
to buy it for, say, $35? It still works if you let it warm up for a
while, sometimes.

I see that for $69 I can get what appears to be an OEM version of the
Zoom 2400 from 800-MAC-STUF. 2yr warranty. This sounds like the ticket,
but wait...

The Zoom 2400 sendfax modem is only $119 from several sources.  I decide to
try one from Software-That-Fits since they have free tech support and a
30-day return policy.  7yr warranty.  800-972-3018.

It shows up in a couple days, works just fine as a Hayes-compatible
data modem (am using it right now) with Versaterm. But there are
problems...

   Software with the modem is "Quicklink II Fax" version 1.0.2, created
20 April 1990. This is a basic comm program with TTY, VT100/102/52
emulation and X/Ymodem and Kermit/"SuperKermit" (whatever SuperKermit
is, and they don't say) file xfer. Has a scrollback buffer. This same
program is supposed to send faxes, but they must be either simple text,
Pict, MacPaint, or TIFF files.

   Not a bad effort considering the price, but the VT102 emulator has
problems. For example, when talking to a VAX/VMS host running EDT,
deleting a line in the buffer didn't scroll the text up to fill the gap
as it should.

   I hit real problems when trying the FAX feature. This from a MacIIcx.
Either the machine would lock up with no message, or Quicklink would
complain that it can't find the modem. After some fiddling I give up and
call Zoom's 800-number, but they refer me to their tech support line
(not toll-free). So we try Software That Fits tech support. They just
happened to be trying to get a Zoom sendfax to work and had been having
problems also.
   But... next day they said they had gotten it to work per the instructions
and that another customer who had been having problems managed to send
a fax also. He said Zoom said that this was sensitive to the serial cable
pinout and gave me the "correct" pinout. I check my cable and sure enough,
it isn't exactly as he said it should be, even though it has worked fine
with a data modem (and with the Zoom).
   At this point I'm undecided whether to bother getting a new cable
or not. Even if it does work, the Quicklink II software isn't very
wonderful - hanging the machine is not nice, no matter what sort of
cable might be there. You can't simply take a MacWrite file and fax
it either.

Anyone else tried this puppy?

The next-most-interesting modem is a new one from Global Village (see P144 of
7 August 1990 MacWeek), 800-736-4821.  $150 gets you a "Teleport" modem that
plugs into the ADB, and uses the ADB for both power and data transfer,
without affecting keyboard or mouse response, they say.  Includes a sendfax
option that may be $60 or free, depending on whether or not they decide to
extend a special offer.  The fax software isn't available yet, but the modems
are.  5-yr warranty, 30-day return option.  Modem is Hayes compatible and has
MNP-5.  Person I talked to there sounded knowledgable, but has been nearly a
week and I haven't gotten the printed info I requested yet.  A CDEV will
remap one of the normal serial ports into this modem.  Or if you have COMM-
toolbox running, this is another available serial device.

(posted for a friend, but you can reply here. we have no affiliation with
any of the above except as potential or real customers of uncertain
satisfaction.)

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (08/20/90)

$150 for 2400 bps (not baud, dammit!) + $60 for the ability to send
a fax is $210.  This doesn't strike me as a good deal.

Prometheus has a 2400 bps (not baud, dammit!) + send FAX modem that
I've seen in stores for $230, and it comes with good software
(Backfax and Macknowledge), and Prometheus is a well known company
in the modem world.  I sold mine, but not because of any flaws in
the product.  Rather, I decided that I wanted something that would
receive also.

For $280 mail order, there is the DoveFAX Desktop, which can also
receive FAX.  Also, the DoveFAX can operate in the background,
and the FAX is 9600 bps, unlike many of the send only FAX modems,
which are 4800.  I've had one for a few days, and it seems to work
fine.

					Tim Smith

bond@aerospace.aero.org (Walt Bond) (08/21/90)

In article <33015@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>$150 for 2400 bps (not baud, dammit!) + $60 for the ability to send
>a fax is $210.  This doesn't strike me as a good deal.

As you stated it, perhaps not. However, there is added value in the
smaller footprint, no external power cube to mess with, built-in
MNP Level 5, and possibly included free sendfax software (if their intro
offer is extended) that looks like a chooser-selectable printer (and is
thus compatible with most any Mac software, unlike Zoom/Quicklink).

BTW, the problem with the Zoom/Quicklink on MacIIcx did turn out to be
the cable. Thing will send faxes, but the user interface and compatibility
with Mac applications (can only send plain text (ASCII), TIFF, or PICT
files) leave much to be desired.

daven@svc.portal.com (08/21/90)

In article <81447@aerospace.AERO.ORG> bond@aero.UUCP (Walt Bond) writes:
>This is a basic comm program with TTY, VT100/102/52 emulation and X/Ymodem
>and Kermit/"SuperKermit" (whatever SuperKermit is, and they don't say) file
>xfer.

SuperKermit is Kermit with long packets and/or sliding windows. The exact
definition seems to vary a bit. My understanding is that it means both
long packets and sliding windows have been implemented.

Dave

Dave Newman - Sofware Ventures        | daven@svc.portal.com | AppleLink: D0025
Berkeley, CA  (415) 644-3232          | AOL: MicroPhone      | CIS: 76004,2161

yossie@marque.mu.edu (08/21/90)

I jsut got a Global Village Teleport modem delivered yesterday.  My initial
impressions are that it is one hell of a product.  Performance is as
promised, ease of use is as promised.

I opened the box, booted from the diskette that came with it and used
the installer script on that diskette to install the cdev and other
resources that the modem needs.  Next I shutdown the mac, connected
the modem to it's ADB port and to the wall/phone.  Restarting the mac
put up a new dialog from Teleport asking me for my name and address
and other registration information.  I entered it all and the modem
dialed an 800 number and registered me right then and there with Global
Village.  Once this was done, I immediately tried to dial out to a BBS.
Instant success.  Time from opening of box - 10 minutes or so.

The manual tells many useful features that the modem has:

1) if you ordered before Aug15 or pay an extra $60, you get
   Teleport/fax.  You can use it to send Faxes in the background
   at 4800 group 3 rates.  It has all the standard fax software
   features (cover pages - it will fill in reciepients info etc..;
   multiple send, timed send, etc..)
2) If you use the comm-tool-box, your modem appears to be a third
   serial device on the mac.  Otherwise the cdev lets you choose
   which port the modem will appear to be connected to.  In some
   cases you still get a third port.  These include: if one of your
   ports is Appletalk, you can use it as such AND assign it to the
   modem.  Most comm programms will work like this.  SoundEdit seems
   to work with a serial port that is assigned to the modem, in
   parellel to the modem working.
3) A third product - Teleport/Addressbook is a super dialing program.
   It costs another $60.  If your order it AND fax, you pay $100.
   When you lift your phone offhook, the DA opens automatically and
   you can find who you want to call, press dial, and presto - it
   dials the person, and transfers control to the phone.  Further
   features include the ability to tell mileage between you and the
   person you are calling, and choose a long distance carrier (it
   knows about MCI, SPRINT, AT&T at least) that will be cheepest,
   given the time of the call and the distance involved.  It will
   do this transperently.  It's database includes all area codes
   and exchanges in the US (they claim) and will figure out mileage
   automatically.
4) Whenever the Teleport modem is in use (I.e. driver opened) it
   will display a small box in the menu bar that consists of
   all the LEDs you would normally find on the modem itself.
   Also it will display the current send/receive rates (CPS)
   (dynamically updated) and current baudrate/MNP level.  Further,
   since the modlem does not have a speaker - the Teleport will
   use (at your discression) the Mac speaker to produce the
   tones of dialing and connection status sounds.  These are not
   the tones sent out on the modem, just an audial verification of
   the modem actually doing something.
5) It comes with the standard compliment of free software/time
   on pay networks (America Online, Compuserv, Delphi, DowJones).
6) You get three different mounting mechanisms for it.  One to place
   it on the wall, next to the phone jack.  Another to mount it on
   any surface (with screws).  And a set of velcro tabs to do soft
   mounting, say on your Mac.  Included is a short telephone wire with
   RJ11 jacks on both ends as well.
7) Guerranty is for 5 years on parts and labor.  Also a free year of
   software upgrades.

I think it's a very nice product.  Well thought out.  Price is right.
Go for it!

- Yossie

dolf@fwi.uva.nl (Dolf Starreveld) (08/22/90)

yossie@marque.mu.edu writes:

> I jsut got a Global Village Teleport modem delivered yesterday.  My initial
> impressions are that it is one hell of a product.  Performance is as
> promised, ease of use is as promised.
But it (or its software) does not allow me to send either a short or long
break!

Using the teleport I also could not hook up to a friend's modem, which would
alsways succeed with my previous 2400 baud modem. We have yet to test whose
fault this is though (yes I have tried setting MNP to Off).

Still a niece product though, esspecially if they update the software to fix
little things like this.

--dolf
--
Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/5022 (FAX: 5155), TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@fwi.uva.nl (dolf%fwi.uva.nl@hp4nl.nluug.nl)