[comp.sys.mac.misc] Licensing question

geoffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Geoff Bronner) (08/22/90)

A random question:

If a user (myself) purchased a MacPlus is 1987 which came with
System 5.0 and a friend of the user has a newer Mac with System 6.0.4
and the original user wants to use 6.0.4 is he legally allowed to
make himself a copy of 6.0.4 System disks or must he (re) purchase
the System software?

A second possible situation: user A has a hard disk with System 5.0 and
user B has a set of 6.0 disks.  Can user A 'borrow' the disks to install
the newer System or must he (re) purchase that software to legally use it?

I looked at the Apple license agreement but I didn't see anything that
covered this (maybe I missed it, I wasn't extremely thurough).

email or post as you see fit...

-Geoff

--
   geoffb@Dartmouth.EDU    | Student Consultant                 Fieyrnt!
  Alpha Theta TeddyBear.   | Kiewit Computation Center

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (08/23/90)

In article <23834@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> geoffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Geoff Br
>If a user (myself) purchased a MacPlus is 1987 which came with
>System 5.0 and a friend of the user has a newer Mac with System 6.0.4
>and the original user wants to use 6.0.4 is he legally allowed to
>make himself a copy of 6.0.4 System disks or must he (re) purchase
>the System software?

   While not being a lawyer ....
Apple has always (so far) just given away all new system versions.  They even
publish recommended system config's for different hardware platforms, and
give some level of known bug reports for higher & lower versions than they
recommend.  They have (& feel they can)  given the software away because they
have a closed hardware loop (or nearly so...).  The apple dealers in this
area maintain a library of major supported system distributions.  All you need
to get any copy is a original apple disk.
al

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (08/23/90)

geoffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Geoff Bronner) writes:

>If a user (myself) purchased a MacPlus is 1987 which came with
>System 5.0 and a friend of the user has a newer Mac with System 6.0.4
>and the original user wants to use 6.0.4 is he legally allowed to
>make himself a copy of 6.0.4 System disks or must he (re) purchase
>the System software?

There's no charge for use of the Macintosh Operating System software
(not to be confused with things like AppleShare server software and A/UX,
for which there is a charge).  When you buy a set of Mac OS disks from a
dealer, what you are paying (list price is $40, I think) is a "nominal"
fee for duplication and media (even though the amount may look more than
nominal).  Many BBSs offer complete sets of Mac OS software for free
download.

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)