[comp.sys.mac.misc] Exabytes for MacOS backups?

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (08/22/90)

I have an Exabyte which I move around to several UNIX machines
to perform backups, and I was wondering if it could be attached
to Mac systems as well.  Does there exist any software which
can drive an Exabyte tape and perform backups?

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

dan@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Dan Pleasant) (08/22/90)

>I have an Exabyte which I move around to several UNIX machines
>to perform backups, and I was wondering if it could be attached
>to Mac systems as well.  Does there exist any software which
>can drive an Exabyte tape and perform backups?
>
>--
>Steve Dyer
>dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
>dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu
----------

Both Fastback II and Retrospect work with Exabyte tape drives.
I like Fastback II, but I'm biased.

Dan Pleasant

[Disclaimer: I wrote large parts of Fastback II, but I don't work for
Fifth Generation Systems and I don't get royalties from sales of Fastback II.]

mlbarrow@e40-008-6.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (08/23/90)

In article <10250001@hpnmdla.HP.COM> dan@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Dan Pleasant) writes:

   Both Fastback II and Retrospect work with Exabyte tape drives.
   I like Fastback II, but I'm biased.

   Dan Pleasant

   [Disclaimer: I wrote large parts of Fastback II, but I don't work for
   Fifth Generation Systems and I don't get royalties from sales of Fastback II.]

I prefer Retrospect, as it will work with basically anything that you
can attach to the Mac. In addition, it is very intelligent and has an
awesome interface. It is so smart that it can make an archive span not
only across mutiple volumes, but also across multiple devices --
automatically. You probably won't need to span multiple anything using
an Exabyte, but it's nice to know that you can. In addition, Retrospect
Remote will be coming out soon. I saw it in a private screening & it's
performance left me speechless (so why am I talking so much...:-]).

I love Retrospect and I didn't write any of it!!!!

--Michael L Barrow
mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu
o MIT Information Systems/Information Services MCR Consultant
o Project Athena Volunteer User Consultant
o Member, Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
o Oh, yeah.....I'm a student too! (MIT '93)