[comp.sys.mac.misc] Hard Drive for an SE

jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (D. Joseph Creighton) (08/14/90)

I'm going to be getting myself a nice 20 or 40 Mb external hard drive for
my SE and would like a few (informed) opinions on the available brands out
there such as Rodime, Jasmine, Apple, etc.

Thanks for your help.
                ___---
  +------__--~~~   _~--------------------------------------------------------+
  | __-~~        _~   "You could feel the wind at your back in those days... |
 _-~            ~_    the sound of the sea beneath you...even if you take    |
~-_              ~_   away the wind and the water, it's still the same. The  |
  |~--_           ~_   ship is yours, you can feel her, and the stars are    |
  |    ~~--__      ~_   still there, Bones." - Kirk, The Ultimate Computer   |
  +----------~~~---_~_-------------------------------------------------------+
  | Hailing Frequencies Closed.                "Captain" D. Joseph Creighton |

wolfson@motcid.UUCP (Steve Wolfson) (08/15/90)

jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (D. Joseph Creighton) writes:

>I'm going to be getting myself a nice 20 or 40 Mb external hard drive for
>my SE and would like a few (informed) opinions on the available brands out
>there such as Rodime, Jasmine, Apple, etc.

	Most of the third party drives use either quantum or seagate
mechanisms, which they bundle with a power supply, box, connector
and maybe some software.  Quantum is what goes into apples from Apple,
they are also used by Sun.  They are faster (19ms versus 28ms seek times).
If your budged allows I am very happy with a 45 meg removable media based
on the Syquest mechanism.  The cost is stiffer about $600, but you can
by more drive in 45 meg hunks for $70 each.  Thus the convience of
floppies with the storage of a hard drive.

ramsey@rbdc (Ramsey Dow) (08/22/90)

wolfson@motcid.UUCP (Steve Wolfson) writes:

>Quantum is what goes into apples from Apple,

Really?  Then how come there's a 20 meg MiniScribe in my HD?  Perhaps Apple
rotates what brand they use at any given time...
--
"It's magic!  I'm foolin' ya and you  | Ramsey Dow, starving undergraduate
     don't like it!  Fuck you!"       | UUCP: ...!gatech!kd4nc!rbdc!ramsey

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug21.182007.9069@rbdc> ramsey@rbdc (Ramsey Dow) writes:
>wolfson@motcid.UUCP (Steve Wolfson) writes:
>>Quantum is what goes into apples from Apple,
>Really?  Then how come there's a 20 meg MiniScribe in my HD?

   I believe that Quantum no longer makes a 20 MB drive. (Maybe never did...)
I also believe that all apple drives smaller than 40 were & are Miniscribe.
Further I do think it is true that all apple drive 40 & larger are Quantum.
However, it is also true (I think) that apple makes no macs with anything
smaller than 40 internal anymore {I should add for systems WITH a hard disk}.
So, the original post was accurate for currently produced machines.
al

In article <4257@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

>   I believe that Quantum no longer makes a 20 MB drive. (Maybe never did...)
>I also believe that all apple drives smaller than 40 were & are Miniscribe.
>Further I do think it is true that all apple drive 40 & larger are Quantum.
>However, it is also true (I think) that apple makes no macs with anything
>smaller than 40 internal anymore {I should add for systems WITH a hard disk}.
>So, the original post was accurate for currently produced machines.
>al

Unfortunately, none of this is correct.  I think Apple's 40MB drives were
all Q250s until the 3.5 drives were available.  However, the HDSC 160 is
not a quantum (I think it is an Imprimis), and some of the 3.5 80s are Sony.
Apple sold several 3.5 20s, including Rodime and Miniscribe.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (08/23/90)

>I also believe that all apple drives smaller than 40 were & are Miniscribe.

My SE has an internal RODIME drive.  This discussion has me curious,
as the original drive died and was replaced under warranty. (I dont know
what brand it was) Does it make sense that the dealer would have
made this switch on me?

brindle (Jack Brindle) (08/23/90)

>amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) states:
> However, it is also true (I think) that apple makes no macs with anything
>smaller than 40 internal anymore {I should add for systems WITH a hard disk}.

Gee. The Mac IIcx I bought last August (1989) came with a Sony 40 megger.
So did the IIci I upgraded to this past June. Perhaps Apple had some troubles
with the Quantum drives, or with getting enough of the drives. In any case,
the Sony drive has served me quite well. A big hint, though, it does have
more than the standard storage given by HD SC Setup. Doing a manual setup
give you about 700K or so more space.

- Jack B.

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (08/27/90)

russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>In article <4257@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

>>   I believe that Quantum no longer makes a 20 MB drive. (Maybe never did...)
>>I also believe that all apple drives smaller than 40 were & are Miniscribe.
>>Further I do think it is true that all apple drive 40 & larger are Quantum.
>>However, it is also true (I think) that apple makes no macs with anything
>>smaller than 40 internal anymore {I should add for systems WITH a hard disk}.
>>So, the original post was accurate for currently produced machines.
>>al

>Unfortunately, none of this is correct.  I think Apple's 40MB drives were
>all Q250s until the 3.5 drives were available.  However, the HDSC 160 is
>not a quantum (I think it is an Imprimis), and some of the 3.5 80s are Sony.
>Apple sold several 3.5 20s, including Rodime and Miniscribe.

Just one user's experience: I administer three machines, an SE with an
Apple-installed 20MB internal Miniscribe, another SE with an Apple-installed
20MB internal Rodime/Europe, and an Apple-brand external 20MB (attached to
a Plus) with a Seagate mechanism.  All of them are slow, whiny and priced so
high I would never buy a new one (one of the SEs is rented and the Plus was
bought at a firesale price from another department, hence the unfortunate
proliferation of the Apple logo on my department's peripherals).

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)