[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac Security

skippy@jhunix (Ian Chesterton) (08/24/90)

Hi there,
   I am looking for security programs for a Mac IIcx.  I'm trying to restrict
   access to the Mac to certain people only. By restrict I mean, absolutely
   no messing around, no running apps, copying, deleting, modifying files.
   It should be a password system and hopefully one that isn't sidetracked by
   people putting a systems disk into the drive (though I can look into drive
   locks too). There are probably a bunch of programs out there that'll do
   the trick, so I am looking more towards good recommendations and cost.
   Thanks in advance!

--- Ian ---

rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (08/25/90)

>    I am looking for security programs for a Mac IIcx.  I'm trying to restrict
>    access to the Mac to certain people only. By restrict I mean, absolutely
>    no messing around, no running apps, copying, deleting, modifying files.
>    It should be a password system and hopefully one that isn't sidetracked by
>    people putting a systems disk into the drive (though I can look into drive
>    locks too). There are probably a bunch of programs out there that'll do
>    the trick, so I am looking more towards good recommendations and cost.
>    Thanks in advance!

I can't give a personal recommendation, but MacWorld and MacUser really liked
FileGuard.

The protection scheme allows you to set up accounts for different users
with different passwords and privledges accordingly.

The going price is about $126 mail order.

--
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rob Pickering
                                                    "It's a small world,
internet:  pickerin@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu     but I wouldn't want to paint it."
bitnet  :  rp1voper@miamiu.bitnet                       -Steven Wright
NeXT    :  pickerin@next4.acs.muohio.edu

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (08/25/90)

rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
> MacWorld and MacUser really liked FileGuard.

	We're pretty happy with MacPassword from Evergreen software.  It has
a built-in screen saver ("flying line" moire patterns) and demands your
password on both startup and when coming out of screen-saver mode.  You can
start up with a system floppy, but you won't be able to do anything with the
hard disk (various config options control how true this is).  A power user
should be able to break the protection scheme by using ResEdit from a statup
system floppy, but I suspect that's true of any Mac password program.

> The protection scheme allows you to set up accounts for different users
> with different passwords and privledges accordingly.

	Can't do that with MacPassword, but there is a guest mode, which I
havn't explored too much.

> The going price is about $126 mail order.

	Yikes!  MacPassword is about $30 from the author, with various
quantity discounts.  I think if you buy enough of them, you get some sort of
system-administrator master password which lets a "super user" get into any
machine in the group.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

kovar@hsphsun2.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug25.023414.28992@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
>rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>> MacWorld and MacUser really liked FileGuard.
>> The going price is about $126 mail order.
>
>	We're pretty happy with MacPassword from Evergreen software.
>	Yikes!  MacPassword is about $30 from the author, with various
>quantity discounts.  I think if you buy enough of them, you get some sort of
>system-administrator master password which lets a "super user" get into any
>machine in the group.

  We developed a similar product for Harvard's Graduate School of Design
and are now marketing it.  If you'd like more details, feel free to drop me
a line or call 617-643-3373.