[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help with FTP,e-mail,telnet on my Mac?

roman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roman) (08/26/90)

I am interested in setting up a MacSE with hard drive and 2400b modem
and no lan connections (just local phone) so that it can be used for
FTP, e-mail (internet, bitnet), and telnet.   Is this possible?  What
additional software/hardware would I need?

I have uupc for the Mac, but the documentation is a bit cryptic.

I'd appreciate any help and will post summaries and or bounce responses
if anyone is interested.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug26.152211.28492@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>,
roman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roman) writes:
> I am interested in setting up a MacSE with hard drive and 2400b modem
> and no lan connections (just local phone) so that it can be used for
> FTP, e-mail (internet, bitnet), and telnet.   Is this possible?  What
> additional software/hardware would I need?

Yes you can do this.  I don't know of any PD programs that allow SLIP, other
than a version of NCSA Telnet that was modified by Cisco (?) to do SLIP.
Our product, TCP/Connect II, contains SLIP as well as the following Telnet
(VT240/241, TN3270, Tek 4014), FTP, NNTP (netnews), SMTP/POP, SNMP, etc...
If you are interested drop me a note with your address and I will put some
literature in the mail for you.

> I have uupc for the Mac, but the documentation is a bit cryptic.

There should be some docs for this floating around on the net somewhere.

> I'd appreciate any help and will post summaries and or bounce responses
> if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps.  Take care.
--
Kurt Baumann