[comp.sys.mac.misc] How can you get the Apple "CD Player" DA to work??

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (08/30/90)

--------

How does one get the CD player DA (the one which allows you to play music CD's
on your Mac) from Apple to work?

Specifically: we've got a CD-ROM player set up with speakers and the DA running
and we're all ready to go.  But when a disk is inserted, it's popped back out
with the message "this is not a Macintosh disk".  No duh.

How is one supposed to do this?  Setup info: Mac IIfx, Apple CD-ROM player,
Multifinder 6.whatever.

Any info much appreciated (my client wants to be able to listen to "The Best of
Cream" and "The Canadian Brass; go figure. :->).

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (08/30/90)

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>--------

>How does one get the CD player DA (the one which allows you to play music CD's
>on your Mac) from Apple to work?

>Specifically: we've got a CD-ROM player set up with speakers and the DA running
>and we're all ready to go.  But when a disk is inserted, it's popped back out
>with the message "this is not a Macintosh disk".  No duh.

You need the files "Audio CD Access" and "Foreign File Access" in your
System Folder.  Put them there (from your distribution CD-ROM software
disk, or from apple.com via anonymous ftp) and reboot.

If you intend to use CD-ROMs formatted in either ISO 9660 or High Sierra
format, you'll need the additional files "ISO 9660 File Access" or "High
Sierra File Access" which come from the same places.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

bhall@pbs.org (Dark Star) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug29.203541.517@midway.uchicago.edu>, gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> --------
>
> How does one get the CD player DA (the one which allows you to play music CD's
> on your Mac) from Apple to work?
>
> Specifically: we've got a CD-ROM player set up with speakers and the DA running
> and we're all ready to go.  But when a disk is inserted, it's popped back out
> with the message "this is not a Macintosh disk".  No duh.

Did you use the installer from the Apple "CD Setup" disk?

It copies another INIT called "Foreign File Access" and the foreign format
modules for High Sierra, ISO 9660, and *audio*.

Once it is there, then the CD will show up on the desktop and you can play
it with the "CD Remote" DA.

--
Bruce Hall                     Domain: bhall@pbs.org
Public Broadcasting Service    UUCP:...{uupsi,vrdxhq,csed-1,ida.org}!pbs!bhall

In article <1990Aug29.203541.517@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>Specifically: we've got a CD-ROM player set up with speakers and the DA running
>and we're all ready to go.  But when a disk is inserted, it's popped back out
>with the message "this is not a Macintosh disk".  No duh.

You need to put the 'Foreign File Access' INIT in your System Folder, and also
the 'Audio CD Access' file.  Both are on the Apple CD-ROM disk.

demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (08/31/90)

>You need the files "Audio CD Access" and "Foreign File Access" in your
>System Folder.  Put them there (from your distribution CD-ROM software
>disk, or from apple.com via anonymous ftp) and reboot.
>If you intend to use CD-ROMs formatted in either ISO 9660 or High Sierra
>format, you'll need the additional files "ISO 9660 File Access" or "High
>Sierra File Access" which come from the same places.

 Is there any hope that this will also work under A/UX 2.0 in the future?
 It's rather annoying to have a CD-ROM that can only read Mac and A/UX
 formats, as I have quite a few ISO 9660 and High Sierra disks that I
 can no longer access now that I've moved to A/UX 2.0.

freeman@argosy.UUCP (Jay R. Freeman) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug29.203541.517@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>--------
>
>How does one get the CD player DA (the one which allows you to play music CD's
>on your Mac) from Apple to work?
>
>Specifically: we've got a CD-ROM player set up with speakers and the DA running
>and we're all ready to go.  But when a disk is inserted, it's popped back out
>with the message "this is not a Macintosh disk".  No duh.

I had symptoms of that sort while integrating an Apple CD-ROM with my
(old) Mac II a few weeks ago; I could get an audio CD to mount but I got
a "not a Macintosh disk" message for data CD-ROMs.  It turns out that the
fix was to substitute a *longer* SCSI cable than the minimum necessary
for putting the CD-ROM beside the Mac.  Specifically, it did not work with
a two-foot SCSI cable but worked fine with five feet.

I mentioned the problem on the net, and one person replied that a longer
SCSI cable had made it work.  That's what prompted me to try one.

Good luck.

                                            -- Jay Freeman

	  <canonical disclaimer -- I speak only for myself>