[comp.sys.mac.misc] Nisus 3.0--Re: Applications that create mathematical formulae

jon@weber.ucsd.edu (Jon Matousek) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug25.193431.20209@csrd.uiuc.edu> andrews@s30.csrd.uiuc.edu
(John Andrews) writes:
>I have used both Expressionist and Mathtype fairly extensively.  I think
>that Mathtype is the better product.  It allows more control, and updates the
>screen much faster than Expressionist.  Expressionist reevaluates the screen
>after EVERY key is pushed.
>--
>John Andrews      (andrews@csrd.uiuc.edu)

For the folks who are using either Expressionist or Mathtype here are a
few new features in version 3.0 of Nisus that you might be interested in.
First of all, Nisus now correctly orients Expressionist and Mathtype
equations in relation to the baseline when pasted into the text layer.
Re-positioning is accomplished with a simple click-hold and drag. You can
easily crop and resize a PICT graphic in the text layer as well.

Additionally from the text layer, you can double click the equation (graphic)
and edit it as a graphic using Nisus' drawing tools. I do not know how
useful this feature would be for equations, as the graphic is
ungrouped into its atomic PICT elements, but it might suffice for minor
tweaking. I imagine that it would not be hard to create a graphic
window with bits and pieces of equations already grouped so you could
copy parts and paste them into equations for tweaking. Or, maybe
it would be easier to use the glossary in conjunction with the ten
clipboards (the glossary and clipboards are editable and
have their own graphics layer). As always, multiple undo's work with
graphics so you can tweak to your heart's content.

Other things you can now do with graphics in Nisus: scale, unscale,
duplicate and rotate in 90 degree increments. Attach graphics to the
page as well as to paragraphs. And, have graphics above or below the
text (watermark level.) The new free-hand tool, as with all graphics
tools, is right on top of the text; there is no separate graphic window
to muck with. And finally, a vertical ruler is a new option appearing
on both the text and graphics layer.

Hope this was informative.

-jOn

%%
SoftwareEngineer: jOn mAtOUsEk;      Internet:  jon@weber.ucsd.edu
%%                                   AppleLink: D0405
Paragon Concepts, Inc.                     FAX: (619)481-6154
990 Highland Drive, #312
Solana Beach, Ca. 92075
(619)481-1477