[comp.sys.mac.misc] Chipwits info

MM93ECOF@MIAMIU.BITNET (08/24/90)

I am interested in information concerning the product "ChipWits."  This
was an excellent program for introducing programming concepts,
particularly to children 10-12.  I purchased my copy back when I owned
a 128k Mac which was upgraded to a "fat" Mac. However, the program
does not work with current machines.  If anybody could assist
with any information concerning upgrades, etc. the details I know are:

Program:  ChipWits
Written in:  MacForth
Distributed by:  BrainPower
Written by:  Doug Sharp and Mike Johnston of Discourse, Inc.

Thanks in advance.

Mark E. McBride                 Voice:     (513) 529-2864
Dept. of Economics              Fax:       (513) 529-6992
208 Laws Hall                   Bitnet:    mm93ecof@miamiu
Miami University (Ohio)         AppleLink: X2008
Oxford, OH  45056

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (08/30/90)

In article <90235.234540MM93ECOF@MIAMIU.BITNET> MM93ECOF@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
" I am interested in information concerning the product "ChipWits."  This
" was an excellent program for introducing programming concepts,

Brainpower discontinued this program years ago, much to the dismay of
many people who tried to get them to change their mind. It is supported
only on the 128 and 512 models.
--

"We must grasp the bull by the tail, and look the matter squarely in the face!"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez     julian@riacs.edu

kevinb@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Kevin Brewer) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.045459.10155@riacs.edu> julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) writes:
>In article <90235.234540MM93ECOF@MIAMIU.BITNET> MM93ECOF@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
>" I am interested in information concerning the product "ChipWits."  This
>" was an excellent program for introducing programming concepts,
>
>Brainpower discontinued this program years ago, much to the dismay of
>many people who tried to get them to change their mind. It is supported
>only on the 128 and 512 models.
>--

I am interested in obtaining Chipwits for use on my 'old' (very old?)
512k Mac (not a 512e). Any help? Please reply via e-mail...

Thanks....

kevin

e-mail: kevinb@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu

jost@alice.coyote.trw.com (Patrick Jost) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Aug30.045459.10155@riacs.edu> julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) writes:
>In article <90235.234540MM93ECOF@MIAMIU.BITNET> MM93ECOF@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
>" I am interested in information concerning the product "ChipWits."  This
>" was an excellent program for introducing programming concepts,
>
>Brainpower discontinued this program years ago, much to the dismay of
>many people who tried to get them to change their mind. It is supported
>only on the 128 and 512 models.
>--

That's not quite the way it happened. The programmer who wrote Chipwits
had left Brainpower, and, as they did not have the source code, there
was no way for them to change it. They were, for a while, offering to
act as liaison between Chipwits-fanatics and the programmer.

Now, however, Brainpower is no more. I've been in touch with the founder,
trying to obtain rights to their hypertext product, Architext.

PJester

--

Patrick Jost                        | "Call it synchronicity, call it deja vu,
jost@coyote.trw.com                 |              -Marillion (Fish)