[comp.sys.mac.misc] What happened to my System?

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (09/02/90)

From: ddaniel@lindy.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh)
Subject: What happened to my System?
>I have two Mac II's with virtually identical setups.  One of them,
>About the Finder shows the System taking up about 400K, the other
>slightly over 2 Meg.  The larger one does have a few more fonts on it,
>but that could hardly account for it.

Did you check the size of the RAM cache?

                                  --clark
Clark Anderson                InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
PCB Software Tools            AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc           BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Sep1.053713.1953@portia.Stanford.EDU> ddaniel@lindy.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) writes:
>I have two Mac II's with virtually identical setups.  One of them,
>About the Finder shows the System taking up about 400K, the other
>slightly over 2 Meg.  The larger one does have a few more fonts on it,
>but that could hardly account for it.

Oops!  Sheepish grin.  Many thanks to the Mouse who reminded me that I
had forgotten to check the RAM cache, which someone had inexplicably
set at 2M.  Turned it off and everything is fine.

Many thanks to those who replied.  Really, I'm usually sharper than
that.  Honest!  #:^)

	== Daniel ==

'At your age,' Allie wept, 'you ought to be ashamed.' -- 'Well, I'm
not,' the future Mrs. Boniek rejoined.  'A professor, and in Stanford,
California, so he brings the sunshine also.  I intend to spend many
hours working on my tan.'
                               from "The Satanic Verses", by Salman Rushdie