[comp.sys.mac.misc] Obscure LaserWriter features

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (08/29/90)

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:

>If you hook up to the 25 pin serial port in interactive terminal mode, AND
>you jumper pin 4 to pin pin 22, and power the laser up, you will come
>up in the RED STONE monitor.

Uuuuh--is this the reason there's an ADB connector on all LaserWriter II
series machines?  So you can hook a video-out adapter to the laser feed
and a keyboard to the ADB port and debug the printer?

That's half a :-), by the way.  I'm still clueless why there IS an ADB
port on the furshlugginer printer.

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (08/29/90)

Alex,

The canonical explanation for the ADB ports on LaserWriters is to control
the plethora of third-party envelope feeders, bin feeders, continuous-feed
rollers, and other aftermarket goodies that are crowding dealer shelves.

What?  Not at -your- dealer?  Well, you're obviously not patronizing
dnalretupmoC.  Right this way, through the Looking Glass...

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Stephen Fleming         |   In ten years, computers will just be    |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  |   bumps in cables.       --Gordon Bell    |
|  CI$:   76354,3176       +-------------------------------------------|
|  BIX:   srfleming        |   My employers may disagree vehemently.   |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (08/31/90)

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) writes:

>Alex,

>The canonical explanation for the ADB ports on LaserWriters is to control
>the plethora of third-party envelope feeders, bin feeders, continuous-feed
>rollers, and other aftermarket goodies that are crowding dealer shelves.

>What?  Not at -your- dealer?  Well, you're obviously not patronizing
>dnalretupmoC.  Right this way, through the Looking Glass...

Thanks to the six (including Stephen) people who reported this answer to
a really obscure one!  And they say USENET isn't valuable....

One person mentioned he'd seen this info on a brochure for a
sheet-feeder, so p'haps one exists.  And copy-controls, LCD displays,
bin selectors, etc--at least, those were suggestions.

Another mentioned that some used ADB to communicate directly with the
printer; is this actually faster than AppleTalk?

I'm still wondering why you can't use SCSI to talk to your LW IINTX; I'm
also wondering why your font cache can't live on your computer's hard
disk.  (Doubtless several people will call me nieve, which is one reason
that USENET is called USELESSNET by its detractors.)

>|  Stephen Fleming         |   In ten years, computers will just be    |
>|  fleming@cup.portal.com  |   bumps in cables.       --Gordon Bell    |

								In ten years, lawyers will just be
								bumps in roads.		   --Shakespeare

								In ten years, computers will say,
								"Cables?  Where we're going, we don't
								need cables."		   --Nobody, yet

			Alex
--

minow@mountn.dec.com (Martin Minow) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Aug31.082117.6829@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>
alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

>I'm still wondering why you can't use SCSI to talk to your LW IINTX; I'm
>also wondering why your font cache can't live on your computer's hard
>disk.

One good reason why font caches ought not to reside on the Mac hard
disk is that the Mac OS wasn't setup to handle multiple SCSI bus
initiators, and you're liable to have wierd crashes if you do SCSI
operations when the system isn't expecting it.

Since hard disks are hovering around $10/Mbyte quantity one, I would
think that using the main system's disk as a font cache would be
false economy.  If nothing else, the Laserwriter's font accesses will
slow the system down somewhat.

>  (Doubtless several people will call me nieve, which is one reason
>that USENET is called USELESSNET by its detractors.)

You're neive.

Martin Minow
minow@bolt.enet.dec.com