[comp.sys.mac.misc] Virtual 2.0 and DiskExpress

mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (09/01/90)

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier question regarding System 7.0 and
Virtual 2.0.

Now can virtual memory utilities such as these coexist with automatic disk
optimizers such as DiskExpress II?  I understand that Virtual needs its disk
space to be contiguous, so an optimizer is necessary at some point, but can
they both run at the same time?

Thanks,

Mike.
--
Michael A. Kelly
mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (09/02/90)

In article <1990Aug31.223432.28381@cs.uoregon.edu> mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) writes:

>Now can virtual memory utilities such as these coexist with automatic disk
>optimizers such as DiskExpress II?  I understand that Virtual needs its disk
>space to be contiguous, so an optimizer is necessary at some point, but can
>they both run at the same time?

I assume that you mean: can DiskExpress II work in automatic mode with Virtual?

My approach was to make a separate volume (Swap) for Virtual's use.  Then set
Virtual to not automatically optimize that volume.

However, I have yet to have DE II work in automatic mode without crashing the
system.  It may be incompatible with ParcPlace's Smalltalk-80, which is what I
do most of my work in.

I'm running Mac OS 6.0.5 with 8 meg and a LaCie 105 with SilverLining 5.23.

I use DE II in manual mode every once in a while and am satisfied with that.

Ken Warner

weesh@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Darweesh) (09/04/90)

Using Disk Express II and Virtual would be bad if you optimized the swapfile
while using virtual.  You could however, partition your hard drive and
have one partition for your swapfile only (this may slightly reduce your
swapping speed though).

From personal experience-I tried using DiskExpress II and Virtual (with the
swap file on another partition) and may computer froze.  No damage was done,
but it was obvious that there were going to be some problems although I
haven't called either software company to discuss the problem.

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@unclejack.crd.ge.com

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Aug31.223432.28381@cs.uoregon.edu>, mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu
(Michael A. Kelly) writes...
-Now can virtual memory utilities such as these coexist with automatic disk
-optimizers such as DiskExpress II?  I understand that Virtual needs its disk

I think a way exists to "lock down" files so that DiskExpress won't
touch them while optimizing, this should probably occur for any
vm swapfile.

Personally, I think DiskExpress is a well written & designed utility,
but I think it's a bit compulsive to have to have yur HD optimized
everyday. I find the constant disk access annoying, as it tries to
optimize while I'm using a word processor and trying to think...

>>> yahnke@macc.wisc.edu <<<

jmpiazza@acsu.buffalo.edu (Joseph M. Piazza) (09/05/90)

In article <4316@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:
>In article <1990Aug31.223432.28381@cs.uoregon.edu>, mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu
>(Michael A. Kelly) writes...
>-Now can virtual memory utilities such as these coexist with automatic disk
>-optimizers such as DiskExpress II?  I understand that Virtual needs its disk
>
>I think a way exists to "lock down" files so that DiskExpress won't
>touch them while optimizing, this should probably occur for any
>vm swapfile.

	This seems to be happen automagically.  Examining DE II's
Volume Info shows the swap file (the only file on my disk that's 13 Meg :-)
as "Anchored."  I presume that DE II leaves such files alone.

>Personally, I think DiskExpress is a well written & designed utility,
>but I think it's a bit compulsive to have to have yur HD optimized
>everyday. I find the constant disk access annoying, as it tries to
>optimize while I'm using a word processor and trying to think...

	To make DE II stop optimizing while you're working, activate DE II,
hit the Status button (the only one that shows, I believe), and hit Cancel.
Note that the "Optimize Automatically" box is still checked.  DE II will
then perform the optimiziation later.  If you leave your machine on all
the time (I do) it will be fully optimized every morning (or whenever you
get back to your Mac).

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ...!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET		Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu