[comp.sys.mac.misc] Postscript to file

skinner@cs.washington.edu (Shelley Marie Skinner) (09/04/90)

> I understand there is a standard way on the mac to redirect postscript
> output to a text file instead of the laser printer.  Is there?  How
> does one do it?

This is how I get Macdraw II postscript output to go to a file:

1. Open the Macdraw file.
2. Use Chooser to make sure output going to a laser printer.
3. Select Print.
4. Click OK (keep button down)
5. With other hand, press option-F (keep those keys down too)
6. Let "OK" button up.
7. After a second, let "option-F" keys up.

A message should appear saying something like "Creating Postscript file"
A file called PostScript0 is created on the directory (I think)
where Macdraw was run from.
If a PostScript0 file already exists, it creates PostScript1,
then PostScript2, etc.

You can also use this technique from a word processor program
such as Microsoft Word. Good luck. I don't know why,
but it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

-Shelley

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (09/06/90)

In a message to All dated 09/04/90 at 12:37:18, Shelley Marie Skinner
writes:

In article <12948@june.cs.washington.edu>,skinner@cs.washington.edu (Shelley
Marie Skinner)
writes:

SMS> 1. Open the Macdraw file.
SMS> 2. Use Chooser to make sure output going to a laser printer.
SMS> 3. Select Print.
SMS> 4. Click OK (keep button down)
SMS> 5. With other hand, press option-F (keep those keys down too)
SMS> 6. Let "OK" button up.
SMS> 7. After a second, let "option-F" keys up.
SMS>
SMS> A message should appear saying something like "Creating Postscript file"
SMS> A file called PostScript0 is created on the directory (I think)
SMS> where Macdraw was run from.
SMS> If a PostScript0 file already exists, it creates PostScript1,
SMS> then PostScript2, etc.
SMS>
SMS> You can also use this technique from a word processor program
SMS> such as Microsoft Word. Good luck. I don't know why,
SMS> but it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

It's obscure but it is in TN152. So is the trick for geting the dictionary
prepended
which you'll need to do if your printer hasn't seen it since its last powerup.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org