[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple's New Direction

gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144) (09/06/90)

Well, just got done reading the latest issue of Macworld.  In it was an
interesting article under the heading of The State of the Mac.  The article
addressed the inherent design flaws in the Macintosh and how they affect
performance.

(If you really want to know, the issued discussed were: Lack of support
for NuBus block-transfer mode, no asych I/O, and no support for the new
DMA chips in the IIfx..not even with System 7.0)

Now, armed with this knowledge, I would like to offer my solution to this
dilemma: Completely redesign the Mac.

"But wait!  This will make it incompatible with the other Macs!"  Possibly..
but I believe it is high time that Apple stop trying to push it's now 6-year
old technology (albeit they have done an admirable job doing it!) and come
up with something brand new.

Y'see, many of the Macs performance problems comes from the fact that Apple
forces the poor CPU to do everything.  The sound chip and the IIfx's DMA
chips are the only separate processors available to do asych tasks.  And even
then, disk I/O will cause the sound chip to halt its execution.

When Apple is designing its '040 Macs, they should strongly consider giving
it the capabilities that would allow it to overcome the processing bottlenecks
imposed by the hardware and OS.  The Mac could easily do everything that
is touted as being only capable on an Amiga if these bottlenecks are
removed.

Well, it's just my opinion.  If you really need to flame me...go ahead.

Have a nice day. :)

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony,116 Congdon,,2683915) (09/06/90)

From article <6897.26e532e9@umiami.miami.edu>, by gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144):

> (stuff deleted)
>
> Now, armed with this knowledge, I would like to offer my solution to this
> dilemma: Completely redesign the Mac.
>
> "But wait!  This will make it incompatible with the other Macs!"  Possibly..
> but I believe it is high time that Apple stop trying to push it's now 6-year
> old technology (albeit they have done an admirable job doing it!) and come
> up with something brand new.
>
> Y'see, many of the Macs performance problems comes from the fact that Apple
> forces the poor CPU to do everything.  The sound chip and the IIfx's DMA
> chips are the only separate processors available to do asych tasks.  And even
> then, disk I/O will cause the sound chip to halt its execution.
>
> When Apple is designing its '040 Macs, they should strongly consider giving
> it the capabilities that would allow it to overcome the processing bottlenecks
> imposed by the hardware and OS.  The Mac could easily do everything that
> is touted as being only capable on an Amiga if these bottlenecks are
> removed.

Yes, I, in theory, agree.  But, I don't think the new Macs would have to
be incompatible.  The beauty of the Mac's design is the wealth of routines
built in to ROM (well, if you're not a programmer it's beautiful). By
using this technique, Apple can change the underlying process for how
these routines work, without affecting their results.  Thus, Apple can
develop improved hardware which distribute tasks to slave-processors,
but still have the same functionality.  The jump from IIci to IIfx
wouldn't have been possible without this ability.  While the hardware
hasn't been fully exploited yet on the IIfx, future Systems will be
able to, while not giving up compatibilty.  I think this is the right
direction for Apple to continue.

One thing I like about Apple is that they push new technology.  Object
Oriented Prorgramming, 32-Bit clean programs, the new RISC based
graphic cards etc. are all examples where Apple has moved forward
without giving up the base behind it.  (As a side note: would this be
possible if the market were taken by Mac clones?)

At the same time, old technology can be slowly let go without anyone
having to suddenly make great new investments.

> Well, it's just my opinion.  If you really need to flame me...go ahead.

Just mine too.

> Have a nice day. :)

Thanks, I will!  :-)

> --
> Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)

Jason W. Anthony         anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu      ////  /|
Computer Engineering                                       /   / |
Clarkson University, Potsdam N.Y.                       / /   /--|
____________________________________________________   ///.  /   |.

kaveh@ms.uky.edu (Kaveh Baharestan) (09/06/90)

gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144) writes:

>dilemma: Completely redesign the Mac.

>When Apple is designing its '040 Macs, they should strongly consider giving
>it the capabilities that would allow it to overcome the processing bottlenecks
>imposed by the hardware and OS.  The Mac could easily do everything that
>is touted as being only capable on an Amiga if these bottlenecks are
>removed.

How about a multi-prossecor mac?  I'd like to see the Mac machines move
into the serious networking and multi-tasking - mulyi-user areas of
computers.  One of my greattest hangups (besides price) with the mac is
the slowness and general pain or servers on a network.

>Well, it's just my opinion.  If you really need to flame me...go ahead.

>Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet
>Nuke a Godless, Communist, | Pick and choose!        gross@umiami.miami.edu
>gay whale for Christ.      |                      gross@miavax.ir.miami.edu
>              - Anonymous  |                     jgross@umbio.med.miami.edu
I have a pin that says "Nuke a gay whale for christ!"
                                        Kaveh.
|  "Men are like lizards that bask in the sun, and say "what a nice place     |
|   someone has built for me!""         -The Stone Of Farwell                 |
|					Tad Williams			      |

ee299bw@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Dark Star Crashes) (09/06/90)

> gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144) writes stuff which must be correct,
> because I agree with it. :-)

They should also consider that the high performance workstation
market is going to be a bloodbath in the 90s, and they're not going
to stay in business for very long selling $10000 machines with
pretty interfaces but can't handle multitasking, protected memory
which can be reallocated in real time, and all the other wonderful
things one would expect from a real operating system. I'm not sure
how they will accomplish this without abandoning to some degree the
bottom end of the Mac line, though.

Just my $0.02, and your mileage may vary. :-)

Dave
--
***********************    Dave Chesavage    ****************************
*                       dchesavage@ucsd.edu                             *

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep5.224018.3233@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony,116 Congdon,,2683915) writes:
>One thing I like about Apple is that they push new technology.

    Say what? This is the apple that released a *15* MHz Mac II when
everyone else was pushing 25 and 33? Apple's computers have lousy
performance compared to almost any other system.

    Worse than the CPU managing the disk, is its managing the floppy!
The NUBUS spec for the II says that the bus can't be used for real-time
transfers because the CPU locks the bus for up to 200ms (yes,
milli-seconds) at a time when dealing with the floppy.  (A 10MHz bus, no
less).

    Apple's pushed a lot of things, but *never* technology.
--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep5.224018.3233@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony,116 Congdon,,2683915) writes:
>Yes, I, in theory, agree.  But, I don't think the new Macs would have to
>be incompatible.  The beauty of the Mac's design is the wealth of routines
>built in to ROM (well, if you're not a programmer it's beautiful).

As a programmer, I'd like to see the opposite.  It's nice to try to
get as much performance as possible.  However, I think it'd be more
valuable to completely revamp the software.  I don't know if it'd be
profitable, but I'd *love* to see Apple phase out the old Toolbox and
build a completely new set of ROMs which aren't crippled by the fact
that the original Mac was one of the first commercial windowing
personal computer.

I program mostly in C and C++.  I like what little I've seen of
MacApp, but it's still crippled by the fact that it's built on top of
the Toolbox.  Think of how much cleaner things could be if they were
rewritten from scratch.  There are so many kluges in the Toolbox (some
from the introduction of the Plus, many from the introduction of color
with the II, a few others scattered here and there) which could be
eliminated if a new Toolbox were rewritten for a machine with a minimum
of an 030 (or 020 with PMMU) + color.

Again, this is a pipe dream.  I'm not saying it'd be profitable for
Apple, or that it useful for the thousands of people who still do
productive things with their Mac Pluses.

On the other hand, I feel that the sheer agony of programming a
professional quality program for the Mac leads to worse software, less
software.  A machine as wonderful as the Mac deserves to have a
programming environment which is just as wonderful.

I am happy with the Mac user interface.  What about rewriting the ROMs
so that the user interface is identical, but the programmer can get by
with much less work?  After having programmed in various other
windowing environments, I am sure that the programmer's interface
could theoretically be simplified.

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (09/07/90)

In article <6897.26e532e9@umiami.miami.edu> gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144) writes:
>Y'see, many of the Macs performance problems comes from the fact that Apple
>forces the poor CPU to do everything.  The sound chip and the IIfx's DMA
>chips are the only separate processors available to do asych tasks.  And even
>then, disk I/O will cause the sound chip to halt its execution.

You can produce sound and access the disk at the same time.  The Big Bang CD
(which was passed out at the May developers conference) contains a sample
app which does just that.  But I agree with you, it is a shame that there is
no OS support for the DMA chip.

David
#include <disclaim.h>

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (09/08/90)

In article <kaveh.652575426@s.ms.uky.edu> kaveh@ms.uky.edu (Kaveh Baharestan) writes:
>gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144) writes:
>
>>dilemma: Completely redesign the Mac.
>
>>When Apple is designing its '040 Macs, they should strongly consider giving
>>it the capabilities that would allow it to overcome the processing bottlenecks
>>imposed by the hardware and OS.  The Mac could easily do everything that
>>is touted as being only capable on an Amiga if these bottlenecks are
>>removed.
>
>How about a multi-prossecor mac?

I agree.  I've always felt that it would be great to not only be able to
pick up more memory for my machine, but more CPU too.

I could head down to buy the latest greatest wonderApp, and since this would
be running concurrently with something of importance on my machine, I decide
that I need more CPU.  So I just pick up a 68050 plug in module and voila,
I've got five processors instead of four!

It also has the advantange that I can completely dedicate at least one CPU
to the UI - guaranteed responsiveness.  And my BBS talking over ISDN lines
never knows the difference...

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce
 -------------+--------------------------------------
              | 5201 Patrick Henry Drive MS-C4
              | Box 58168
              | Santa Clara, CA 95051-8168
              | (408) 987-7319
              | AppleLink: peirce1
              | Internet:  peirce@claris.com
              | uucp:      {ames,decwrl,apple,sun}!claris!peirce

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (09/08/90)

Although their RISC-based card is nice (unless you consider loosing your
24bits of color for "Apple-convolution"), you're right about Apple not being
on the "cutting-edge" of technology.

But, what they do push is some extremely nice software.  Listen to me though,
hehe, I'm an Amiga owner :')  I've had to wait quite a while to see some
really refined software like you guys have had for several years.  It's
finally coming, but it's been a long wait.

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)