[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac Crash.

wching@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (William Ching) (09/09/90)

Does anyone know exactly what the _HNoPurge trap does?  My Mac Plus (Sys.
6.0.5) has been crashing on floppy disk inserts, sometimes on a bunch
of other things, but always Macsbug tells me that the crash took place in
the middle of the _HNoPurge procedure.  Anyone can help?

Thanks
William Ching                       |
INET: wching@gnh-applesauce.cts.com | GEnie: W.CHING
UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!wching
ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!wching@nosc.mil
"To the insane the sane must seem insane"

Greg@AppleLink.apple.com (Greg Marriott) (09/09/90)

In article <4310@crash.cts.com> wching@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (William
Ching) writes:
> Does anyone know exactly what the _HNoPurge trap does?  My Mac Plus (Sys.
> 6.0.5) has been crashing on floppy disk inserts, sometimes on a bunch
> of other things, but always Macsbug tells me that the crash took place in
> the middle of the _HNoPurge procedure.  Anyone can help?

_HNoPurge is a Memory Manager call that marks a heap block unpurgeable
(makes sure the block won't be released too soon).  This is probably not
what is crashing.  When Macsbug tells you where the program counter is, it
shows the nearest routine it knows about (in this case, HNoPurge).  It
probably says something like "_HNoPurge+4fe", which is about 1000 bytes
past the start of HNoPurge (HNoPurge on a Plus isn't anywhere near 1000
bytes long).

A likely cause is an INIT you have installed, or maybe even a virus.

Greg Marriott
Just Some Guy
Apple Computer, Inc.