[comp.sys.mac.misc] Chooser Documents. Where are Postscript or Preview Chooser documents?

nayeri@cs.umass.edu (Farshad Nayeri) (09/10/90)

At the risk of being redundant, I have been wondering why no one has yet
written a Chooser document that will dump a pure PostScript or EPSF file (with
some options previously specified from Chooser, e.g., folder to put the ps
file, or the name of the ps file.) Please do realize that I know about the
little utilities that hack the apple f/k hack (like LaserInit). What I don't
understand is that since the Mac interface has the hooks to do the job nicely
(i.e. through chooser documents), why hasn't anyone done it?

I understand that Apple may not want to do something like this, because this
will make it easier for people to use printers from other hardware companies.
But there are many creative minds out there working on little utilities for
Macintosh other than people at Apple, so I must be missing something, right?

On a similar note, couple of years ago, I had to use Hypercard Reports! which
also came with a neat chooser document called "Preview". It allowed you to
preview what was going to be printed on the screen. Once again, an
elegant solution which would work great if Preview would have been more
flexible. This would have reduced the modes of packages like MS Word by one.
Anyone knows what happened to the Preview chooser document?

Thanks, --farshad

--
Farshad Nayeri                Object Oriented Systems Group
nayeri@cs.umass.edu           Computer and Information Science Dept.

philip@minnie.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (09/12/90)

In article <NAYERI.90Sep9230251@ibis.cs.umass.edu>, nayeri@cs.umass.edu
(Farshad Nayeri) writes:

> At the risk of being redundant, I have been wondering why no one has yet
> written a Chooser document that will dump a pure PostScript or EPSF
file (with
> some options previously specified from Chooser, e.g., folder to put the ps
> file, or the name of the ps file.)
[..etc...]
Actually, Adobe (creators of PostScript) announced the intention to
market their
own Mac printer drivers which will do exactly this. I can't remember details
like when it's supposed to be appearing (maybe someone from Adobe can follow
up).

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do ones own version of the Apple
printer drivers by hacking Apple's code (if this is what you were
suggesting). Writing a Chooser-based driver from scratch is not trivial.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu